Logo

HOT alternator

amantinori

Contributing Member
Motor is finally running well after the rebuild and water/oil problem. New thing i have noticed is that the alternator is constantly HOT. It has to be a voltage or wiring issue but its wired the same as the other motor and cant figure our whats causing the problem. I'm not to good at troubleshooting electrical so i needs some direction.

Do you have a multi meter? Measure the output of the alternator on the large red cable. You want to make sure its not exceeding 15volts. Also carefully feel the cable that goes from alternator to make sure its not burning hot.

This is when the motor is off, seems like there is some back current or something, i will measure the voltage at the Alt when its off. there shouldn't be any voltage off correct? Used my infrared temp senser and i read 96 degrees when the motor is off and cold, thats no good. I suspect it has something to do with the charger and there is some kinda resistor or chip that was once inline with the alt, looks to me its all back together the same way though.

Back