Logo

Hooked Raw Water Pump Hoses Up Backwards

garth.suhr

Hey guys,
So I have a 2005 Volvo Penta 5.0GXI, I replaced the impeller on it yesterday which I have done 3 times before and when I put the hoses back onto the raw water pump I believe I put them on backwards. When I hooked the hose up to the flusher on the engine and started flushing it the water poured out the holes on the side of the lower unit like normal but I noticed after about 3 minutes only a dribble of water was coming out the exhaust, the temp was fine at 165 according to the gauge but the engine itself was getting pretty hot to the touch. However I did not let it go too long, maybe about 3-4 minutes in total, no alarms went off and temp never went above 165, no weird noises, I just shut it off because I did not trust it. When looking at the schematic for the pump it does look like with Volvo's water inlet hose (where the flusher connects) should actually be on the top connection to the housing and I hooked mine on the bottom. Does anyone here know if I indeed hooked it up backwards by the sound of it? If so, do I have to recheck the impeller before switching the hoses. I can't imagine I ruined the impeller seeing as how the water inlet hose flows directly into the raw water pump housing, so the impeller must of still of gotten water, just not successfully pumped it through the engine.

Check the pump impeller.
If the engine was operated long enough without enough water, you may have damaged not only the impeller, but also the interior of the rubber exhaust couplers and/or bellows.

Volvo Penta seawater pump hose connections .jpg

By the way...... the image showing hose connections on the Stbd side is a Port side image turned up-side down, simply to illustrate how the connections remain the same.

Last edited:
Check the pump impeller.
If the engine was operated long enough without enough water, you may have damaged not only the impeller, but also the interior of the rubber exhaust couplers and/or bellows.

View attachment 20413

So looking at your pictures, my hoses are on the starboard side of the boat so i did hook them up backwards, the water inlet hose with the flusher was hooked on the bottom.....great

Out of curiosity how would i know if i damaged the rubber exhaust couplers or bellows, if the impeller is fine and the boat flushes ok am i good to go?

Ok thanks, the risers and manifolds are brand new too. I would be shocked if I damaged an elbow after only 3 or 4 minutes when the engine never even registered over 165, that's it's normal operating temp but I'll check. Thanks

Ok thanks, the risers and manifolds are brand new too. I would be shocked if I damaged an elbow after only 3 or 4 minutes when the engine never even registered over 165, that's it's normal operating temp but I'll check. Thanks

It's not so much engine temperature that could have damaged these components.... it's more so the exhaust gas temperature that may have blistered the interior of the rubber components!

By the way...... the schematic that you used does not show Spacers/Risers being used. It shows manifolds and elbows only.

This is an exhaust Spacer/Riser.

3853621_1_site.jpg

Back