Logo

Honda Prop.

I have a 2016 Honda 115 hp. on a 18ft Lund Impact. The original prop is 15 X 17 they replaced it with 14.8 X 17. Of course I ask why the difference they said that's how its configured now. I looked at the prop you can see the difference for sure wider blade by at least 1/2 ". Id gather I'll have better hole shot maybe! Whats your thought on it?

Thanks

What you're going to find if you get into it deep enough, is that propping a boat is NOT an exact science.

Every manf. is going to have a little different blade shape.

A bigger blade usually does have a better grip on the water, so enhanced hole shot, better low speed handling (as in when docking and loading/unloading boat), and maybe staying on plane at a hair lower speed would be no surprise here, all else being equal. Down side of course, might be a hair lower top speed, but there's no guarantee there either.

I'm no EX-spurt in this "field" so take what I say with the proverbial grain.

First off I say prop experimentation is only for the rich unless you work with a shop that has "loaners" to try.
Who is this "they" that arbitrarily changed your prop diameter?

Did you keep your old prop?

I ask because you may find that YOU want it back.

There's no "free lunch", usually, with props. You change one thing to get more speed but you you typically negatively impact hole shot. And vice-versa.

You may find that, yes, your hole shot improves with this prop but top speed is down due to the wider "paw" or blade configuration. They obviously downsized the diameter trying to compensate for this but the proof is going to be in the pudding....not on the spread sheet.

You just have to try it and see how it performs is my GUESS.

AND...my 2cents anyway .

Good luck.

What you're going to find if you get into it deep enough, is that propping a boat is NOT an exact science.

Every manf. is going to have a little different blade shape.

A bigger blade usually does have a better grip on the water, so enhanced hole shot, better low speed handling (as in when docking and loading/unloading boat), and maybe staying on plane at a hair lower speed would be no surprise here, all else being equal. Down side of course, might be a hair lower top speed, but there's no guarantee there either.
The original Honda blade was 15x17. After looking at the Honda website for that motor it’s now 14.8x17. There is a difference in blade size. I had a little nick on the blade so now I have a spare. Of course, they told me I shouldn’t see any difference, but I beg to differ if you have a bigger blade you’re gonna have a better hole shot. Might lose a few miles per hour on the top end but I don’t really care. It’s not like I have a bass boat or something.

I'm no EX-spurt in this "field" so take what I say with the proverbial grain.

First off I say prop experimentation is only for the rich unless you work with a shop that has "loaners" to try.
Who is this "they" that arbitrarily changed your prop diameter?

Did you keep your old prop?

I ask because you may find that YOU want it back.

There's no "free lunch", usually, with props. You change one thing to get more speed but you you typically negatively impact hole shot. And vice-versa.

You may find that, yes, your hole shot improves with this prop but top speed is down due to the wider "paw" or blade configuration. They obviously downsized the diameter trying to compensate for this but the proof is going to be in the pudding....not on the spread sheet.

You just have to try it and see how it performs is my GUESS.

AND...my 2cents anyway .

Good luck.
I dinged my prop last year, very minor, but I want to get another one. So now I have this old one as a spare. As I stated it is a little bit different, according to the Honda website that’s the size they use now in the BF115D. For that boat size.

The original Honda blade was 15x17. After looking at the Honda website for that motor it’s now 14.8x17. There is a difference in blade size. I had a little nick on the blade so now I have a spare. Of course, they told me I shouldn’t see any difference, but I beg to differ if you have a bigger blade you’re gonna have a better hole shot. Might lose a few miles per hour on the top end but I don’t really care. It’s not like I have a bass boat or something.
That's pretty much the approach many (most?) of us take. Close is good enough....

Back