Logo

Honda Outboard year identification

Cheyenne731

I have just purchased a Honda 40 hp Outboard, the owner has Alzheimer’s and can’t remember the year. I would like to know, but, I only have the numbers as follows:

Model#: BF40A
Serial#: 33011S8
Can anyone help me out?

Hi,
See if you can locate what is called the "frame number" attached to a label. The label is typically about 3 1/2" long by 1/2" wide and are usually found attached to the top of the swivel case or sometimes on the starboard side of the stern bracket or extension case.
It might start with 3 or 4 letters followed by 6 or 7 numerals.

Here's a link to some as an example.

It seems they always start with the letter L on the 40 hp.

Hi,
See if you can locate what is called the "frame number" attached to a label. The label is typically about 3 1/2" long by 1/2" wide and are usually found attached to the top of the swivel case or sometimes on the starboard side of the stern bracket or extension case.
It might start with 3 or 4 letters followed by 6 or 7 numerals.

Here's a link to some as an example.

It seems they always start with the letter L on the 40 hp.
That is all I have for numbers, Thanx

Yeah, sorry. I only know how to date them by the frame number.
I believe the number you gave is the engine serial number. The frame number is the outboard "as a whole" identifier.
But you might find a way to cross reference the two. I just don't know how.
Might need to contact someone at Honda America to get help with this.
Good luck.

ALL of the 40hp Honda's serial#s I have, frame or engine number, start with "BAY" and use a format something like BAYE-10000002

Makes very little difference for the most part. If it's a BF40a and built prior to '05 or so, the parts are all pretty much interchangeable. The newer BF40a's have a different carb. I can tell you, early vs. late, pretty easily with a pic of the RH side of the engine with the cowl removed.

Yeah, sorry. I only know how to date them by the frame number.
I believe the number you gave is the engine serial number. The frame number is the outboard "as a whole" identifier.
But you might find a way to cross reference the two. I just don't know how.
Might need to contact someone at Honda America to get help with this.
Good luck.
Thank you for your wonderful help! I can just go with a best guess, approach. It won’t be a problem, because I will never need parts! It is a Honda! hehe

Back