Logo

Honda outboard history question

yeungkaho

Hi all, I am looking to buying a 2001 90hp honda outboard, the out board needs repair, but I am wondering the design of the 2001. I see in the service manual it seperates up to 2001 (ie. 1978-2001 and 2002-2008)
What is the difference between a 01 and 02? is the 02 a lot better? I am assuming the 2001 is carb, what year did they change to injectors?

The engine I am looking at needs valves. I am an auto mechanic that repairs mainly import cars (honda/toyota), how similar is it to the car engines and if so, which ones? I do quite a bit of honda head gasket and valves, so is pretty familiar with those engines.

I read the 115hp is based on accord and it is the good one to get, but couldn't find one for a good deal.

Thank you for your help.

Jack

The 90 was introduced in 1997. At that time, it had a Mercury gearcase on it. Around 1999, they used a gearcase made by Honda. Other than that, to me, there were only subtle changes until it went fuel injected in 2007.

It is said that it is based on the Honda Civic engine.

If you are going to do any serious repair, like the head, I highly recommend purchasing the official Honda Manual. The aftermarket manuals are full of errors, especially when it comes to torque values and procedures. You can purchase on the Honda ebay or amazon stores. http://marine.honda.com/owners/manuals/shop-manuals

I think (I am guessing) the manuals you referenced are separated at 2001 or 2002......right about that time is when they made major design changes to some of the smaller engines.

The 90 is a good strong engine and works well if it is maintained.

Hope that helps.

Mike

ended up finding a bf90a1 that doesn't need a rebuild, just minor maintenance. I do have the FSM, and the info has been very great. Does anyone know what this engine is based on or shared with for automobile engine? I know that it is a 1.6L 12 valve engine, what would an equivalent car engine be?

Jack

Back