Logo

Honda four stroke, 8hp outboard (BF8D) red-light continuous single beep issue

scw

Hi,

I recently purchased a second hand (2005) BF8D Honda four stroke, 8hp outboard for my sail boat. It has sat dry stored an unused since July 2019 after having a big expensive service where everything was done. It started first time when I got it, sounds great and looks very clean and tidy inside and out, oil also topped up and looks clean. I am no mechanic by the way but learning fast as I have had to some minor adjustments.

So, I put the engine on my boat for the first-time last week and ran the engine to get the boat to its mooring, literally a 15 minute motor from where we launched, what I hadn’t noticed was there was no water coming from the tell-tail pipe. Just as we got to the mooring the engine cut out, managed to get the boat moored, started the engine and it started but stalled shortly after. After realising the water cooling wasn’t working, I quickly found a blockage in the water pipe cleaned that out and now the water flow is fine.

I had to move the location of the Honda control box that controls the engine and now after 5 minutes of running in neutral a red light comes on and a continuous beep, the light indicates overheating! I turned the engine off straight away. I continue to have this problem and could really do with some advice. Of course anything sat for nearly two years is going to get a bit of dirt in it and things have probably got a little stiff/stuck. I am comfortable taking the cover off and having a play around and just wondered if there may be some simple things that I might be able to do.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hi,

It sounds to me as if the engine's THERMOSTAT may not be fully opening or possibly not opening at all.

Since it's a "new to you" outboard, I recommend that you not screw around trying to test it but to replace it using a new seal. See the link below. Items 5,6,7 and 13.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard-by-hp-serial-range/8hp/bf8d5-sha-2005/thermostat

I would also suggest removing the water jacket cover (item 8) and replace items 1,9 and 12 while you're there. In addition to those items you might consider replacing items 2,3, and 4 if they at all look corroded or damaged in any way.

Those last three items are the engine flush valve components (even though the parts pages refer to them as "flash" valve parts)

Here's a piece of advice about using the flush port after you after you have put it back together.....
DON'T use it UNLESS you are prepared to fashion a plug that you can seal it with when it starts leaking.

And it will probably start leaking immediately after you first use it. It's a poor design and tends not to reseat itself after it has been "disturbed".

But...it's a very useful tool for dockside flushing....especially on a sailboat installation where you can't use a trashcan (most preferred) to flush your outboard.

So, fashioning and using that plug after using it is a pretty good strategy.

After you service the thermostat, you will still want to be mistrustful of the engine's ability to run cool enough. The Tstat probably failed because of corrosion from salt water use and sitting. The same might be true about the waterpump although you say it pees fine so it is working to some degree.

If it were me, I would want:
new NGK plugs
The Tstat service I've outlined
A complete engine oil and filter change
A drain and refill of the gearcase
And a waterpump COMPLETE KIT replacement including new drive key.

That is sort of standard operating procedure for a newly purchased, used outboard. It gives a baseline of knowledge about what is there and when it was done and, usually, will reward you with at least a couple of years of reliability.

In addition to those things, remove the hood and find the carburetor drain screw. Find the right slot type screwdriver to reach in there and crack it open 1/2 turn. The drain should be connected to a clear hose leading to the nozzle located next to the pee nozzle. You can catch the gas in a small cup. Keep the carburetor drained when not in use.

The 2005 BF8D it one of the most rugged, dependable outboards ever made so you have got yourself a GOOD one. But it still needs a little love if you want it to take care of you and yours.

Ask all the questions you want and
The best of luck.

Hi @jgmo,

Thank you so much for that detailed reply, that is very helpful. I will work through the points and give that a go. I am really enjoying the learning curve with both engine and boat.

Take care and thanks again.

I'm an old, washed up trailer sailor meself...

What sailboat do you own and what waters do you sail?
If you don't mind my asking.

I'm very new to sailing so this is my first boat, it's a Hunter Legend 240, it seems like a perfect starter boat. The aim being to learn on this for a year or two then get something a little bigger so I can travel further, hopefully to the US one day! Currently she is moored in the UK on the south coast. I'm a keen kite surfer and am in the water all year round in all weather conditions, sailing has always been something I have wanted to get into for many years. What boat do you have?

Many thanks.

Well, it all depends on what day of the week.

I still own my first dagger board Sabot.

I still have my first sloop too.

A 1977 San Juan 23.

In addition to those I own:

a 1971 Santana 21

Two versions of the Venture 17

And to top it all off...

I have no less than 4...count 'em....FOUR...

LIDO 14's!

All on their own trailer.

If you get to America quick, I'll cut you a sweet deal on one! ;>)

Back