Logo

honda BFP9.9D no spark at times

cricket14465

Hay you all, I am new to outboards but most of my life in auto repair anyway I have this honda fp9.9d i believe 2001 it will start and run and then after say a minute or 2 will sputter and die . tried keeping it running on propane but found it was losing spark checked and cleaned various connections to no avail, the other thing i noticed was no water output from pisser hose, so i am wondering if engine is overheating and shutting down spark ?? I didnt have it running very long, do these engine get hot fast with no water?? did pull off pump and found it bad,ordered new part and will try again later this week

Well, we'll see what happens.

They do get hot quick with no water flow and, yes, there is engine protection built into the CDI module.

Please keep us informed about your progress.

Yes heat could be the issue. But also possible there are 2 problems. First the simple one of no water coming out may just need a new water pump spinner in the lower 1/2 of the motor. The 2nd problem may be the heat is effecting the exciter coil and you will need a DVA and muli-meter to determine if voltage from the coil is still viable.

Overheating for sure, engine guardian kicking in.Carry out a full cooling system service including internal anodes

First thing is to check the water pump.: This is located down inside the propella housing (so it can get to the water) and is driven by a large drive shaft from the motor.. You need to loosen and remove the lower unit's bolts (remember to separate the small shift connection first). You can then pull off the lower unit looose. The water pump is at the base of the large drive shaft that is driven by the motor. Inside the water pump's small housing, (which should unbolt to remove the top) is that black plastic spinner. These ware out from age and use and must be replaced installed to turn only in one direction. (Do NOT put it in backwards.) Apply just a little lubricant to the spinner to help reduce friction before water gets to it. (For the spinner install check you motor for the clockwise OR counterclockwise installation as some Honda motors are different.)

Thanks for all the replys, I went and replaced water pump rubber spinner??? if that is what its called, anyway now have good water output from pisser hose,and yes I did clean up all the rubber pieces that were broken off .now engine runs great no issues. I was really surprised at how fast that motor got hot when it went down into shut off mode....Well I least I learned alot...again thank you all for your kind help in this matter.

Great to hear you are good to go. Yes the black plastic spinner is the working part of the water pump. Thank you for your honesty with growing knowledge, we are all growing and helping each other. I have an older Honda 25hp and it is humbling me too. Enjoy your boating.

Back