Logo

Honda BF90A stand starting

catsmeow23

Classic forum post......A buddy of mine brought 4 Honda BF90A engines back from Florida recently, and we are trying to get one fired up on a stand. I'm curious how to simply turn the starter over, to make sure it's not seized as a starting point. The engine I grabbed from him seems to be missing a few connections to the starter top post. Does anyone have a picture of the starter correctly wired? Also, in layman's terms, what is the best way to start with a remote starter? Power from battery to the top of the starter post, then connect the remote starter from the starter post to the starter relay? I believe there should be 2 additional heavy wires at the top starter post. I'm a bit out of my element here. Any help and pictures would be greatly appreciated. Starter Pic 1.jpg

Quick update from the afternoons activities. Used the wiring approach above, I got the starter turning everything over. Pulled the plugs to exercise for a bit. Cylinder pressures seem low with 1-3 ~110psi, and #4 at 90 psi. Sprayed some PB Blaster in all 4 to help things along. Next steps to start her up? Besides water and fuel, it seems that I need to jump a couple of the pins in the main harness to make it think it is in "run." Correct? W/Bl and Bl/Y jumped will make it think that its in "run?" Anything else I need to know?

Attachments

• Color decode for starting.JPG
    Color decode for starting.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 1
Soldiering on. Attached are some pictures of my setup. Fuel line with hand pump building pressure at the fuel intake hose. Jumped the W/Bl & Bl/Y terminals on the engine harness. Turns over, but slow with 4 plugs in. I removed two plugs to see what would happen. No firing at all. Next steps? What is this white/opaque harness on the starter side of the engine for?

Attachments

• IMG_9775.jpg
    IMG_9775.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9776.jpg
    IMG_9776.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9777.jpg
    IMG_9777.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9778.jpg
    IMG_9778.jpg