Logo

Honda BF8D impeller change

Lewis8558

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I'm in a spot of bother, trying to change impeller on my outboard, but lower unit won't drop out as the shift shaft will not separate, it loosens so far and then just clicks and won't go any further, any help appreciated

Hi,
Not sure I'm understanding your issue. The shift shaft has an upper part and a lower part. It is supposed to be separated during gear case removal so that only the lower part comes with the gear case.
You do that by shifting the transmission into reverse to gain easy access to the shift shaft connecting nut. Find where the shift shaft exits the top front of the gear case and the long connecting nut and smaller jam nut can be seen. Hold the long nut and loosen the jam nut and then screw the long nut UPWARDS until it disengages the lower shift shaft.

Caution: when shifting the transmission while the outboard is not running it is important that you slowly rotate the prop by hand to prevent the clutch from binding. You don't need to rotate it much and it doesn't matter which direction but if you don't it could cause some damage to the shift shaft.

If this isn't your problem, then you may need to explain what's happening in greater detail.

Let us know.

Thanks very much, turns out the upper rod had broke free from the shift cover at the top and was spinning, any tips for aligning the two shafts for reassembly?

Well, I've worked on a bunch of these but I have to say I've never heard or seen what you describe.

The top of the upper shift rod looks like a squared hook. See item 13 in the parts link below

The tip of that hook fits into a hole on the inner (port side) end of the horizontal primary shift shaft. See item 6 in the parts page link below.

Both ends of that shaft are molded nylon.
Did you yarn so hard on the shaft that you broke that end?

If so, you're done until you replace that shaft assembly. And, I imagine that bent the B-HAY-ZEUS out of the upper rod so you'll likely need a new one of those since it will never be the same again.

And if you replace the rod then you should also replace the grommet it goes through. Item 19 in the first link.

Basically the connecting nut was seized onto the upper shaft so any attempt to loosen was simply turning the entire shaft which resulted in it breaking free from the upper shift assembly if that makes sense. I've ordered new bits but worried the same will happen when trying to reassemble.

Ouch! Never had one sieze on me. That must sting a bit. Probably sat too much in salt water.
Some disassembly required but it should be fine with a new upper rod and barrel nut.
Good luck.

Back