Logo

Honda BF8 idling problem

mason_smith

"Essentially, no idling at all

"Essentially, no idling at all, since I acquired this engine last year. Believe it sat idle for some years, on a 2002-built boat. Starts and runs fine at higher rpms. revs up, then dies when choke is pushed in and throttle turned to shift. Problem in use is that it dies when throttled down enough to shift comfortably. Carb has been taken off and cleaned by a friend. I think float-valve was sticking open and in-line filter was making too much resistance at first. Have a feeling Just-In-Time's gonna say, Time for a carburetor rebuild! Right, but is there a quicker fix just for the idling problem?"

"Hi
I recently bought the s

"Hi
I recently bought the same BF8A motor and it had exactly the same problem. The motor reved up and died when choke pushed in. I stripped, cleaned and checked the carburetor, cleaned the jets, set the float level and still had the same problem. I bought the motor cheap as the seller knew it had a problem and he had taken it 3 times to a honda repair shop and they didn't fix the problem. After lots of experimentation I found I had to open the mixture screw (alot) more than was recommended and now it runs perfectly well, Starts second pull when cold with the choke on and runs smooth with the choke off. (Plugs are now a dark tan color). It probably indicates I have a partially blocked, faulty or incorrect idle jet. I don't know if this will help you but it fixed my problem."

classic symptoms of fuel starv

classic symptoms of fuel starvation.The jets on these engines are very small and need to be meticulously clean.It is running on both cylinders?

"Thanks to the two responders.

"Thanks to the two responders. I'll try opening that screw, but think I already have tried that. It runs on two cylinders. I have bought a Honda manuals CD on ebay and combed it for advice and have come to think the float valve is leaking, level therefore too high, and so she's dying not from starvation but from too much fuel at idle. A look at the plugs should tell? The jets have theoretically been cleaned and look perfect to the eye. I do still suspect varnish as well. Will get back to it soon. Thanks again---Mason"

HHHHMMMMM you say it quits whe

HHHHMMMMM you say it quits when the choke is pushed in-------That is a sure sign of NOT ENUFF FUEL. So best to check those wee jets again.

"I agree that it is not enough

"I agree that it is not enough more likely not enough fuel. I tried raising the float level and it caused fuel leakage which would also be the symptoms you would get if your float valve was leaking.
If your carb is the same as mine the idle jet can be easily removed as it is the one on the outside of the carburetor to the lower left of the mixture screw. Remove it and Clean it with the correct jet cleaning file - a bit like Gas Welding Tip cleaners, or if you don't want to do that, soak the jet in Jewellery Cleaning fluid for 24hours and blow dry it before re-installing. Don't use a cloth to dry it as some of the cloth fibres may clog up the jet again. If you still have a problem replace idle jet and the Mixture Screw."

"fuel pump carb time!!!
then

"fuel pump carb time!!!
then run pressure test

KISS it guys, u are digging into stuff for no need"

"Hi Mason.
Can you l

"Hi Mason.
Can you let us know if you fix your problem and how, as you asked for a quicker fix (and probably also cheaper)than a Carb Rebuild or fuel pump replacement I offered my experiences with the same problem which for me was quick and cheap to fix. Actually I'm not sure what "Fuel pump Carb time" means, but if that fixes your problem then good news. However if your on a limited budget like me trying simple and cheap alternatives is the first option. I would be disappointed if you had to replace either item as in my country (New Zealand) it would be cheaper to buy a second hand motor than replace both items. I would also like to know what "kiss it" means as if its intended as an insult it has no place in a genuine forum for people who really want to help."

guys a can of seafoam or carb

guys a can of seafoam or carb clean is not going to fix stuff

check for water in fuel

KISS

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

"Hello, thanks again to Neil a

"Hello, thanks again to Neil and Just-in-Time. (I thought I would get this advice from you, Just-in-time, after reading some of your earlier posts.) I appreciate that you make good sense but, like Neil, I'd sure love to do it without new pump and carb. The little I motor my Micro, I could live with it as it is, but I do love a sweet-idling motor. I went out to the boat, a Bolger Micro on its trailer outside my shop, and pulled the brass set-screw that covers the jet (is this right? It looks like a jet itself, but is soldered over on the under-side.) I couldn't induce the jet, underneath, to come out upward, so will pull the carburetor tomorrow, first making sure that I can get a gasket. Neil, when I back out the idle adjustment screw, it makes no difference. Makes no difference whether it's shut or open all the way. Anyway, I want to see that jet with me own eyes. After that, if it is clear, and still I can't idle, I'll give up and buy parts; or, since I also have a Honda 75 longshaft that runs well, I may just switch carbs. J-I-T, tell me, would that be just as dumb as everything else I'm doing?"

"J-I-T, What I have is a Honda

"J-I-T, What I have is a Honda Marine CD for 1976 - 2005 2 - 130 HP 4-Strokes Models. Not sure what you would call it, but certainly not a proper shop manual for any of these engines. Still, pretty informative."

"I found this forum while look

"I found this forum while looking for a manual for a BF8. I have one as a kicker (I picked up the boat used and the kicker haden't been used for some time). No idle without choke. Is there anything unusual about the inside of this carb that would make soaking it a bad idea? I thought I would ask before I take it apart. I've done alot of work on older bikes and snowmobiles, but I'm new to boats. Also, I'm guessing that this has 2 jets and the idle screw. so if it won't idle, it is probably try to clean the low speed jet and the idle port or does the idle screw "fine tune" the port that the low speed jet is in? Thanks"

"pulled and cleaned the carb.

"pulled and cleaned the carb. didn't see any gunk. sprayed out all the passages with electrical contact cleaner, blew them out with air, and used a strand of wire from a piece of hookup cable to poke trough every hole I could. My engine is one of the ELV models, so access is limited to so of the jets. i repeated this about 3 times, put it back together and it runs fine. No more idle problems."

Back