Logo

Honda BF50D won't start - intermittent problem

ollieW

Hi all,

I have a 2013 Honda BF50D that has an intermittent starting issue.

The problem is that it sometimes wont start again after running for some time. It has happened on a number of occasions now.

Symptoms - turn the key, beep beep (normal), go to crank the engine and nothing. I had a wiggle with the throttle and sometimes this causes it to work. So this lead me to believe it was the neutral switch that was either faulty or I needed to adjust the gear shifter a bit. However the last time this has happened to me, no amount of shift wiggling fixed the issue, so I had to jump start the motor with a screwdriver across the thick starter solenoid posts.

I have a theory based on another thread on the forum about the starter solenoid not working when warm due to excessive resistance. This might be the case with my engine as it has never not worked from cold. Has anyone else experienced a similar thing with their starter solenoid not working intermittently?

I am going to put an order in for a new neutral switch and a new starter solenoid. It would be nice to know which of these is faulty though so does anyone have any good electrical tests I can do on the units?

Resistance tests? Continuity tests?

Any help would be greatly received!

Many thanks!

Update:

I have done a continuity test on the neutral safety switch and it seems to work. I get continuity when depressing it lightly so I'm reasonably confident it works fine. There's no damage to the unit or wires.

I have also tested the starter solenoid off a battery and it clicks as it should. However that doesn't really get me any closer.

I might have to reassemble and do some on water testing to see if the problem persists.

Loose wire somewhere ??----Some folks won't touch them , but I would take the starter apart for internal inspection.----Might need new brushes or cleaning.

Loose wire somewhere ??----Some folks won't touch them , but I would take the starter apart for internal inspection.----Might need new brushes or cleaning.
Thanks for your reply.

The starter motor works fine. The symptoms I get when I go to turn the ignition are before the starter motor.

I had to bypass the ignition system once whilst out on the water to allow me to get home!

I’m inclined to think it’s the gear shifter needing adjusting or the solenoid is on its way out

Back