Logo

Honda BF50A Wire

On my 225 there is a cable wire like that connecting the main anode (zinc) block that mounts under the main transom bracket to the engine frame. Again, on the 225, the main anode is held in my two bolts. One of those bolts goes through a round electrical connector to the cable. The other end of the cable is attached to the engine frame as shown in your first picture. So see if the broken off piece is attached to one of the bolts holding in you main anode.

It is a simple earthing wire. Earthing the engine to the transom bracket. this is to make sure that any electrical energy generated by the motor moving through water at speed will travel the path of least resistance (i.e. the wire) and not through the pin connecting the motor to the transom as this will over time cause pitting on either the pin or the swivel sheathes due to resistance in the fit. this will in return create a small spark that will in time create the wear and pitting.
The wire goes onto a philipshead screw roughly where the arrow is on your first photo, this looks tough to get to. But I highly recommend that you have a stainless wire of some sort between motor and transom even if you have to relocate the transom earth point.
Hope this is answer enough.

Sometimes that small earth wire will melt and break if your engine main earth cable is not connecting properly between the battery negative and engine block.
If that happens, the earth current from the starter motor travels through the small earth wire which is too small for that much current.
So check the main earth cable and renew the small one.
Bob

Back