Logo

Honda BF35A - BF50A flange marking

ESa

Is there a system on Honda BF35A to Honda BF50A flange markings on the caburetors?
It seems to a system as below?
BF35A - ex. 12AA HA09 or 12AA FFT or 12AB RH05
BF45A - ex. 31AA ND16
BF50A - ex. 31BC OF15 or 31CB UF27 or 31AA DJ06
Please explan so I can identifie a carburetor then I bye one from the scrap yard.

Hi ESa

The Honda Marine Carburetion Manual is very vague as to this question and, at one point refers you to a "Marine Model Chronology Publication" to match serial numbers with part number applications. I've never seen one of those books.

But, maybe this will help you:

According to the Honda Marine Carburetion Manuals that I have, the first four digits of the flange code are the most important and the last four digits "have no service purpose"....whatever that means.

Example:
A BF50 AX model outboard would have a carburetor ID of...BG31B C...any digits stamped after that don't apply.
The first four digits give you carburetor type and horsepower ie: BG is carb type (found stamped on the carb near the flange number) and 31 the code for 50hp.
I'm sorry, but I could not find what the C stands for but I'll keep looking.

As to your question about the 35 hp, the 45 hp and the 50 hp outboard flange codes they are listed like this:

35hp=only one listing....Carb ID....
BG12A B with the number 12 indicating 35hp.

45hp=only one listing....Carb ID....
BG15A B with the 15 indicating 45hp...

50hp=two listings based on outboard frame number. Carb ID....
BG31B C and
BG31C E with the 31 indicating for use on 50hp engines.

I'm not sure this answers your question but it's the only info I currently have.

Hope I haven't just confused you more.

Good luck.

Thank you for the answer/tip.
Now I can go shopping BF50 carburetors to my BF50 who I bought with
BF35 carburetors. :(

Ok Esa,

You're welcome.

Just want to say also that, while you can use the 31 code to identify a carb for a 50hp A model, remember that you have to physically verify that the choke type, linkage and throttle linkage will match what is needed for your outboard.

Good luck and I hope you find the ones you need.

Back