Logo

Honda BF30 fuel leak, carb.

Rdub

Hey there, new guy here and boat owner.
I have a fuel leak on top carb coming from what looks like the silver round cap on the side of the carb. I’ve done a complete carb and o ring replacement but still fuel leaking from this part. I’m not sure what the part is called? But I’m having a hard time finding a replacement or if it’s even a replacement part.
Again not sure the name of the part but it’s about the size of a dime, round and silver.

Hi Rdub,

Without seeing it I can't be completely positive but from your description I am 99% sure that you're looking at what's called an expansion plug or Welsh plug. It's pretty unusual for one to leak but it does happen. They are to carburetors what freeze plugs are to car engines.

They are pressed in to the hole with special dies that cause them to distort evenly and wedge in tightly but you can select a small socket or large pin pin punch and get them in tightly.

Honda doesn't supply them but you can buy them online. Just Google carburetor expansion plugs. You will need to specify the correct size so careful measurement is a must.

Occasionally you can get away with trying to re-seat one by tapping on it with the above mentioned tools. You cold get lucky.

You have to be extremely careful removing one because if you cause a defect in the mounting surface, you will likely never get a replacement to seal.

Good luck.

Back