Logo

Honda BF250A diagnostic tool

Dingo44

Hi all, new to this forum and real glad to have found it. My BF250A with 280hrs has been putting out an intermittent 1second alarm, and the message "Level 2" engine alarm on the chart plotter. I initially believed it was the H02 sensor and am still waiting for a replacement to arrive. But it's not been consistent with other times I've replaced it, ie when I turn the motor off and re-start it the alarm still comes on. Also, the alarm is going off at mid to 3/4 throttle. In the past when I opened it up the alarm would not be activated as it was at idle. I did pull the sensor and clean it with a wire brush, hoping this would help, but no improvement.

btw oil is good, and no water in seperator (also running fuel thru a new racor)

fingers crossed it's is the HO2 sensor but I need to be on the water asap (it's a work boat), looking for a diagnostic tool and service manual in case this isn't HO2 and for any future events (it's a hassle and sadly a rip-off dealing with our Honda mech)

many many thanks for any and all input,
D

ps are after-market 02 sensors a no-no or should I have paid the $300 for an OEM one??

Two files attached. Proper procedure for pulling fault codes and what the codes mean. These are for the BF225 and BF200, but I think they are the same for the BF250A. Pull codes, record them. Then clear codes, run the engine until it alarms, then pull codes again. Come back at us with what you get.

Attachments

• Procedure for Getting Fault Codes.pdf
    189.6 KB · Views: 13
  • MIL Fault Codes Scanned.pdf
    85.1 KB · Views: 11
Back