Logo

Honda BF250 Oil Change Questions

SE AK

Brand spanking new white Honda 250's just dropped onto the new bracket.
Living on a remote island in Alaska, things are hard to come by.

1) What are you paying for Genuine Honda oil filters?
2) Do you change the drain plug washer ever time?
3) What is the part number of drain plug washer?

Thanks!

Brand spanking new white Honda 250's just dropped onto the new bracket.
Living on a remote island in Alaska, things are hard to come by.

1) What are you paying for Genuine Honda oil filters?
2) Do you change the drain plug washer ever time?
3) What is the part number of drain plug washer?

Thanks!
My experience is with a 2007 BF 225, now with about 2350 hours on it. So, the below is based on my experience with that engine...

Oil filters - if engines still in warranty, check with your dealer to see if non-Honda oil filters will violate the warranty. If not, then a good substitute is NAPA Gold 1356. Change oil AND filter every 100 hours or every season, whichever comes first.

Drain plug washer - I just change my washer every 2nd or 3rd oil change. No problems.

You can find parts diagrams, part numbers, and order parts from www.boats.net. My experience is that they have very good prices and ship fast.

Several years ago, I developed a very detailed maintenance schedule for my BF 225. I'm attaching a copy. The part numbers listed are for the BF 225, so you will need to check if they are different for your engine.

Attachments

• Maintenance Schedule Honda BF 200 and BF 225 UPDATED.pdf
    145.5 KB · Views: 2
Thank you for the boats.net suggestion. With lots of digging I found the part numbers I needed and have pasted them below:

Lower Unit Fill (and Oil Check) Plug O-Rings (2 required) 91301-ZW4-003 $1.11
Lower Unit Oil Check Bolt 90101-ZW9-003 (Screwdriver head) $3.11
Lower Unit Drain Plug Bolt 90120-ZY3-000 (Screwdriver head) $15.99

Oil Pan Drain Washer 90601-ZE2-000 $2.66
Oil Pan Drain Bolt 90131-ZV5-000 $8.28

Oil Filter 15400-RTA-003 $7.97

I placed a large order with all of these parts that I will have everything on hand.

My experience is with a 2007 BF 225, now with about 2350 hours on it. So, the below is based on my experience with that engine...

Oil filters - if engines still in warranty, check with your dealer to see if non-Honda oil filters will violate the warranty. If not, then a good substitute is NAPA Gold 1356. Change oil AND filter every 100 hours or every season, whichever comes first.

Drain plug washer - I just change my washer every 2nd or 3rd oil change. No problems.

You can find parts diagrams, part numbers, and order parts from www.boats.net. My experience is that they have very good prices and ship fast.

Several years ago, I developed a very detailed maintenance schedule for my BF 225. I'm attaching a copy. The part numbers listed are for the BF 225, so you will need to check if they are different for your engine.
Great info. Thank you!

Back