Logo

Honda BF225 revving up and down on Idle

Nick Tanousis

Hello,

I am a new outboard technician and currently I am having nightmares with a Honda 225 with idle problems.
The first trouble shooting with leak down test showed bad piston rings so I removed the heads and I found rust in the #6 cylinder and also the valves in every other cylinder wasn't sealing. So I took the block and heads to a machine shop and he told me that he better repair only the heads because the cylinder walls looked ok and even if the rings are a little bit worn we won't have any problem. He repaired the heads and I installed everything back together but the problem still exists!!
Since I have checked almost everything (Cleaned throttle body, cleaned IAC,). I adjusted the valves as the manual says and also I checked fuel pressure ( 32psi with the vacuum hose attached to the pressure regulator and when I remove the hose the fuel pressure goes into 45psi.
I dont have any faults. I have it all the time hooked with a TEXA diagnostic system.

I dont know what else to do. It really drives me crazy!!
I appreciate any kind of help

We haven’t found something major. For sure the heads have been removed again. Maybe they used the same gasket and some very minor water came through because of this.
Now the sparks are completely dry.
Also I am doing cylinder drop test and I can’t feel any difference in any of the cylinders. Like they are all working poorly.

Last edited:
Back