Logo

Honda BF20d electric start conversion.

Johnmyjo

Has anyone changed out the magneto assembly under the flywheel when converting to electric start. I tried to change the flywheel from a pull start for a toothed flywheel but it doesn't fit. I read you need to change the mag.assembly also but there are no tapped holes to fit it. Any help would be appreciated. John.

Hi,

I have never attempted doing this so I'm POSITIVE that I do NOT have all the answers you're looking for.

But, after looking into the problem a bit, I'm afraid that you might be stuck.

The pull start model exciter and charge coils attach separately using two bolts apiece for a total of four bolt holes in the engine block.

The electric start model uses.a 12 pole, one piece stator/exciter coil for combined charging and ignition power with three hold down bolts in a triangular configuration in the engine block.

I couldn't determine from reading the shop manual if all those holes are drilled and tapped in all engine blocks. So, you may be correct that the three bolt holes for holding the stator/exciter coil assembly are not present in your pull start engine block.

But, anyway, that's what you're looking for....3 holes in a triangle pattern surrounding the crankshaft. Hope they're there and you just missed them. If not, you would need to use the correct engine block to make this work.

As a side note, be VERY careful with those two individual charging and exciter coil assemblies since it seems they are no longer available.

Wish I had better news for you.

Good luck.

Back