Logo

Honda bf200 beeping and kill switch

islandboy123

Contributing Member
Hello. I have a Honda bf200. When I turn the key switch to start I can hardly hear the beeping it is very low. I have to go in the center console compartment of my boat t hear it. I don’t like that as if something went wrong with motor I would not hear the warning beeping. Does anybody know why beeping is so low? Is the speaker or something bad or so or do I have to change anything?

also the safety kill switch seems to not be working as I can start the motor with the kill switch not plugged in. Is there something I can check or do I have to replace the kill switch module and plugs?

Start off by fixing the kill switch 1st , with a meter placed between the 2 wires on the switch and the clip is plugged in there should be no reading on the meter then pull the clip out you should get a reading on the meter . To test the buzzer connect it directly to your 12v battery to see if it works the way its designed to work. I don,t know how your motor is wired on some motors the buzzer is fitted as a warning signal telling you something is wrong or overheating on some mtrs the oil light should come on within 10 seconds telling you the oil pressure is good if it doesn't switch it off.

Last edited:
Start off by fixing the kill switch 1st , with a meter placed between the 2 wires on the switch and the clip is plugged in there should be no reading on the meter then pull the clip out you should get a reading on the meter . To test the buzzer connect it directly to your 12v battery to see if it works the way its designed to work. I don,t know how your motor is wired on some motors the buzzer is fitted as a warning signal telling you something is wrong or overheating on some mtrs the oil light should come on within 10 seconds telling you the oil pressure is good if it doesn't switch it off.

Ok. But where do I find the buzzer? As I have like 4 or 5 wires and 2 plugs coming from the kill switch.

Suspect you have a bad wire or connector in the key switch, which Honda calls the control panel. See: http://peparts.honda.com/marine#/browse/me/bf/bf200/BF200A5-XA

Unplug the kill switch and see if the horn works normally when you turn on the key. If so, you likely have a problem with the kill switch itself, or the connectors to it.

hi.

ok i will go and try what you say, i have attached a pic, not sure plug do i have to disconnect? do i disconnect all plugs from the kill switch?image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

hey chawk, i check the link you sent with the parts , but my kill switch plug wires look different, i have like maybe 5 or 6 wires coming out of it. and i see the diagram have only 2 wires

so not sure which ones i have to unplug to check or if which might be the right part if i do have to order anything

let me know

The wires to the kill switch are black and black/red according to my shop manual. From your picture, it looks like the wires to the connector that is resting on the tip of your index finger.

The wires to the kill switch are black and black/red according to my shop manual. From your picture, it looks like the wires to the connector that is resting on the tip of your index finger.

Ok I disconnected that plug u said. I turn the key and I still hear the beeping and the motor can start.

So so how can tell or what to now to see if it the kill switch itself or the connection to the plug?

also why is the beeping so low now and soft can hardly hear it?

With the two wires to the kill switch unplugged, the motor should start even with the kill switch yoke out. Activating the kill switch (i.e. removing the yoke) should connect the black ground wire to the black/red wire and prevent the engine from starting.

NOTE that even with the kill switch activated, the motor will still crank, but will not fire.

With the kill switch still unplugged, connect a known good ground to the black/red connector that goes to main key switch and try to start the engine. If it still starts, then that wire is broken or there is something wrong inside your key switch. If the engine won't fire, back to the kill switch...

Spray the kill switch innards with WD-40 or electrical cleaner and activate it in and out a bunch of times. Then reconnect the wires and install the yoke. See if you can still start the engine. If so, the kill switch is likely faulty, or you have a broken wire. Connect a known good ground wire to the black wire coming out of the kill switch. See if you can now start the engine with the yoke in. If so, the kill switch is bad. If not, the ground wire is bad.

According to the shop manual, the alarm wires are yellow/green and black/yellow. Both of those wires come off the main key switch. Measure the voltage going to the alarm when the key is activated. I'm fairly sure it should be 12 volts. Disconnect and apply 12 volts DC. If alarm is still weak, then the alarm is shot. If not, then there is likely a problem inside your key switch.

Hi

ok I think I misunderstood how the kill switch works. U explained it good now
ok took the plug back out and tried to start and won’t start but swings the motor. So plug it back in the plug and plug out the lanyard and won’t start. Put the landyard in and the motors will start. So the kill switch does work as I was thinking different on how it works. That’s good
but still have a problem on why the buzzer is so low and can’t hardly hear it
what can I do or check on that part?

Back