Logo

Honda BF150 very intermittent starting problem

captbron

Hello guys I have a pair of 2006 150's on a 26 Glacier Bay Cat and they have been basically flawless for 2400hrs until this little gremlin showed up. When you turn the key on you get 2 beeps and all lights etc come on but there is not a sound when you try and start engine. Originally it was thought to be nuetral safety switch since shifting the binnacle seemed to sometimes fix the problem even though it appeared linkage was in right position. They actually shorted the nuetral safety switch to bypass it and about a week later the problem returned. There is no click of a solenoid etc when you turn the key. Boat is stored in the water and engines are always trimmed up. Battery connections etc have been checked and cleaned. After a few tries the motor will usually start. Anyone have a similar problem? My mechanic thinks it may be the key switch itself.

A couple of thoughts....

If you mechanic thinks it could be the key switch, have him switch it to the other engine.

If it were me, I would check the black/white lead coming from the key switch and see if there is 12 v on it when the switch is turned to start. You said that the lights come on and the beeps work, so the key switch is getting voltage. If 12v is not there, then probably key switch. If you get 12v, then it is something else.

The black/white lead goes back to the engine, first though a six pin connector under the dash, then to the 14 pin connector on the engine, to the main relay assy. A white lead comes out of the main relay assy (which also has a start relay in it) and goes to the starter. A ten amp fuse supplies the power that the starter relay passes to activate the starter (blown fuse?). The ground is supplied through the neutral safety switch.

It is possible that the main relay assy is bad, but you you really should trace and troubleshoot before you start changing parts.

If you do not have a wiring diagram, you can download an owner's manual from Honda http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/31ZY6603.pdf The wiring diagram is in the back of the manual.

Just follow the black/white and then the white leads and you should be able to find the location of the problem....unless it is on the negative side with the neutral safety switch leads.

Mike

I don't want to jump in and give you any troubleshooting "tips" other than what Mike has to offer. He is the resident expert.

I just want to say that, as you or your mechanic work your way through the wiring. you could benefit from using contact cleaner on any terminal you have disconnected. There is another product that works very well on these connections too. It is called DE-OXIT or DEOXIT. a little spritz on any connector that you have apart and the resultant "pin drag" that takes place during the disconnect/reconnect process may restore good contact to a corroded terminal and might just make your "gremlins" disappear.

Good luck.

A couple of thoughts....

If you mechanic thinks it could be the key switch, have him switch it to the other engine.

If it were me, I would check the black/white lead coming from the key switch and see if there is 12 v on it when the switch is turned to start. You said that the lights come on and the beeps work, so the key switch is getting voltage. If 12v is not there, then probably key switch. If you get 12v, then it is something else.

The black/white lead goes back to the engine, first though a six pin connector under the dash, then to the 14 pin connector on the engine, to the main relay assy. A white lead comes out of the main relay assy (which also has a start relay in it) and goes to the starter. A ten amp fuse supplies the power that the starter relay passes to activate the starter (blown fuse?). The ground is supplied through the neutral safety switch.

It is possible that the main relay assy is bad, but you you really should trace and troubleshoot before you start changing parts.

If you do not have a wiring diagram, you can download an owner's manual from Honda http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/31ZY6603.pdf The wiring diagram is in the back of the manual.

Just follow the black/white and then the white leads and you should be able to find the location of the problem....unless it is on the negative side with the neutral safety switch leads.

Mike

thanks mike after a lot of troubleshooting since it was a very intermittent problem we found the wiring harness was the culprit small break in wire inside rigging tube.

Back