Logo

Honda BF135A oil light always on

Hi Honda spe******ts

Im brand new here and hoping you can help me out with some problems on a Catamaran with twin BF135A outboards

I have just purchased this boat in a not going condition. Apparently it had engines swapped some time back, used Hondas fitted ( 800 hrs ) complete with new looms and remotes. I have conflicting stories from the previous owner , from documentation i have obtained and from a dealership who did some work on it.

Seems it has hardly been in the water in the 18 months since the engine swap due to alarms and engines going into "limp mode" and no one has been able to figure it out. From what I can gather it sounds temp related

I have a lot of question but think I need to start with the basics...

I haven't run the engines up yet but have noticed that the oil light on one of the remotes stays on with key in the on position and does not flash on for a few seconds and go out like the other side does.

Is there a starting point where I can diagnose this problem? I have cleared codes by cycling the ignition and got the all clear beeps once done but oil light still stays on. I would like to hope that by fixing the oil light issue it may also take care of other faults that will need to be addressed once done full start up and check over

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Shane

Last edited:
On the 225 the green oil light is supposed to stay on..... It's when it goes off you want to start worrying!
I presume it's the same with the 135 but may be wrong.

With engine off, oil light should be off. You likely have a sort in the circuit to the oil light where it is getting power. Or, it is hooked up incorrectly. Check wiring and see if it matches the one that is working correctly.

Thanks guys

metal-chicken, Thanks I understand about the light staying on and when its off its a problem. Its glowing with "key on engine off" while other engines remotes oil light goes on for few seconds then (off prior to starting )

chawk_man, Thanks for that. I will start chasing wiring and swap wiring from remote to remote to see what happens

Cheers

Shane

If the swapping doesn't fix the problem, come back at us. This engine has two different oil pressure senders. You need to pull fault codes to figure out which is having the problem.

Thanks guys,

I did a basic swap around with looms and when going a bit deeper with low and high oil pressure switches noticed an aftermarket type crimp terminal on port side low oil pressure switch. This showed no power but cut terminal off and sure enough 12 + volts on pink wire. Now both side oil lights do the self check and turn off as they should ( prior to engine start )
Will be running up engines at the weekend to see what other codes it throws , but must say i'm happy with this little win.

Cheers

Back