Logo

Honda BF130 Paint Problem

S

stan101

"This 1999 engine has paint co

"This 1999 engine has paint corroding off the engine case. I'm attaching a picture (I hope, as this is my first try). Need your help in repairing and repainting. Someone suggested sanding, then air blasting with glass beads, then filling the pitted areas with Bondo prior to painting. I'm not too excited about Bondo in this saltwater environment and on this type material, whatever it is. Thanks for any and all help.
145357.jpg
Paint Failure

"Stan,

What condition are y

"Stan,

What condition are your sacrificial anodes in? This is a pretty severe case of corrosion, and I would address the cause first before dealing with the effect."

"Jay,

Thanks, I expect you

"Jay,

Thanks, I expect you are right. The anodes don't look depleated to me, but perhaps you can judge and give me your opinion from the anode photo. I thought the engine case was not metal, but it must have some in it. Do you know what the engine case is made of? After replacing the anodes I will need to repair the engine case unless there is something else going on. This boat sits out of the water, without a shore power connection, on a lift most of the time. The other engine shows no such similar degredation.
145414.jpg
"

you have a current causing thi

you have a current causing this which is causing the corrosion

Back