Logo

Honda BF130 HP hardstart

nicktr23

I have a 2003 Honda BF130 HP that I personally changed the cylinder head two years ago after finding out that the engine keep having surging problem. I was on iboats asking for help and received a lot of feedback, so thank you! Everything was operational for the last couple of years until recently it's been giving me problem. At the boat ramp, on first startup, it would would always stall unless I advance the throttle to increase RPM. But normally on the second try, it would idle and run good. I was out clamming in Bodega when we went through some seaweed (grass) and the overheat temp alarm went off. I shut off the engine and allow the current to push the boat away from the seaweed area and try to restart the engine again. It started and we were off to go fishing offshore. As we were going out of Tomales Bay, the current and waves was rough, and we came upon some big waves where the boat was flying and landed pretty hard. I know not so fun, but I noticed that the rpm was dropping slightly. I gave it more throttle, and it was more sluggish. I then put the engine in neutral and turned off the engine. I restart the engine and it stumble and stall. I did this a couple more time with same result. I did manage to get the engine to idle, but it was rough and I advanced the throttle a little to keep it running. When I put the engine into gear it would stall right away. Obviously I was pretty nervous at this time and so we headed back to dock for safety concern. On the way back, we were not running on all cylinders as rpm was less than 2k and the engine was stumbling wanting to stall. The throttle was at max, but I kept trekking because no other choice, it was early and I didn't want to wait for the coast guard for a tow. :/ Luckily for us, we were able to get back to dock and now I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with the engine.
At home on the muff, when I turn on the engine, it stumble and stumble and stall. I can keep the engine running if I advance the throttle, but there's a lot of shakes and it sounds very weak. The taletell does pee normally, so the engine is not overheating as no alarm goes on. Things I've done.
1. Measure compression with throttle wide open - cylinder 1 175, cylinder 2 185, cylinder 3 190, cylinder 4 190.
2. Checked each spark plugs - cyl 1, 3, 4 - dark dry and black. cyl 2 is the only spark that looks normal.
3. Checked for spark according to the manual - I do have spark on all 4. Tested them in pairs, 1 and 4, 2 and 3. I do have spark.
4. Checked for gas - I took off the injector rails, using zip tie, secure all injectors to the rails, and turn the key to start. I recorded the injectors and see if there's any clogged injectors. All injectors and spraying fuel, I don't see any clogged up injectors. The spray pattern on no.2 injector looks better than the other 3, hard to tell, but they are all spraying fuel. I have a video of it that I can share. Probably not the best way to test, but I know I don't have a fuel delivery problem. I did removed all injectors and cleaned them before and went through the WHOLE fuel system and clean and replace all filters. I had bad gas before and definitely had water in gas, or phase separation. So I did went through the whole fuel system previously and clean everything. I had a trial run after the fuel system cleaning before and took the boat for trial at nearby river, and it was running GREAT. so I don't think it's the fuel. I ALWAY think its a fuel problem when the engine have problem, so I make sure to check the bulb to make sure it's hard, and it's hard.
5. My boat don't have a MIL indicator but from my online research and going through a lot of post by hondadude (Mike) and figuring out how to get the MIL light to go on. I was able to pull the code. Code 3 and 24. Which correspond to MAP sensor and ECT sensor. I don't know if it's old code or not, so i still have to reset the ECM and see if the same code is tripped again. I will soon post a picture to see if someone can help me figure out if my timing is right and engine didn't jump timing or something.
6. I can't do any cylinder drop test cause the engine is sputtering and stalling, not running properly. I even get the occasional backfire when I advance the throttle.
With the ECM setting MAP code and ECT code, I set out to clean the map sensor. I removed the throttle body and cleaned the map sensor. There wasnt much residue, it look clean. I couldn't find any MAF sensor cleaner so I use sensitive electronic contact clean. I'm sure that's fine. Also clean remove the IAC valve and clean that as well, again, it look clean as well. I still have to do some voltage check with the map sensor as mentioned in the manual, but it has been too hot in Sacramento to do anything outdoor.
Anyone has any idea was else I need to do? I think while I have everything out, I will recheck the valve clearance again. I will install everything back, reset the ECM, restart the engine and recheck the MIL to see if any code appears.

Here is a video of the injectors on the fuel rail, the lanyard was removed so no spark to cause fire. But a fire extinguisher was nearby. :)

Also a video of the MIL lights. I'm reading code 3 and 24. Or is it 3, 10 and 14? the one long light by itself is 10? or is 10 10 quick blink?

Here is a video of it running in its current condition.

After resetting the MIL light, no code is currently present. When I took off the map sensor connector and start the engine, it sound better and the alarm went off and it sputter and stall. Obviously the code for map return because i unplugged the map sensor connector.

I reset the ecm again and restart the engine, no more MIL flashing light. So i think the MIL flashing is old stored code.
I cleaned the IAC valve, it was cleaned and also applied 12volts intermittently and it's functioning properly. Also checked the resistance across the two terminal and it's within spec. I still haven't test the map sensor, but it also didn't look dirty or gummed up with carbon. I removed the throttle body and cleaned that as well, it was a little dirty.

I will probably remove the valve cover and check valve clearance next and then check timing. I'm unsure on how to check timing to see if it jumped a tooth. I was reading somewhere in this forum about an ECT sensor, can this sensor being faulty cause the engine to run like in the video? In the past, before replacing the cylinder head due to some holes in the exhaust because of corrosion, even while running on 3 cylinder, i had rpm surge issue but it will always idle good.

I'm trying to check timing alignment. Everything seem to line up properly. The only thing I'm not sure about is the line on the intake balancer side. On the intake balancer shaft, there is a dot that is 180 degrees from the arrow, is that suppose to be like that? The manual I have doesn't even mention the balancer shaft with the dot. It mention a balance with notches, so I'm confused.

20230725_084156.jpg

20230725_084137.jpg

20230725_084113.jpg

My 1999 top end, took this a couple of years ago, don’t know how it compares or if it helps.

I’m an old car guy, not an FI Honda guy, my thought is timing jumped or a bad coil that is breaking down under electrical load.

I don't think it jumped time, all timing marks lined up properly and the engine was running smooth previously. Are you referring to the pulsar coil? I will measure the resistance of each pulsar coil sensor. I did test for spark with the spark plug grounded to the engine and I did see spark though. What is crazy is I took the boat to the river and did a trial run after going through the fuel system and cleaning the injectors. It was running and purring beautifully. When I took it to the ocean after the overheat alarm was set due to having to clean the seaweed out, I had to shut it down. Then went out of the bay to go fishing. Sea conditions was a little rough, and after couple minutes I just notice lack of power, then I back off on the throttle. It idle low and shut off. I turn it back on, and I had the overheat alarm went off, but the pee-hole still pushing out water. Anyways, turned it off again. Turn on again and it was hard to start.
Can ect sensor cause these type of symptoms? I did notice what look like unburnt fuel in the water as I was troubleshooting. I can be certain that the fuel pump and the fuel is in good condition. The red float is not floating means fuel is good (also spent a great deal of time cleaning the fuel system).
The manual keep mentioning this "test harness" tool which is not available for purchase use to test what seem like connection from ecm to whatever sensor you're testing, can you test without it?

ECT sensor can cause these issues, so can the map sensor. Clear all codes, run until fault occurs again and recheck codes. There are two ect sensors so be sure you identify the correct one as failed.

Back