Logo

Honda bf 225 overheat problem.

Talklessridemore

Contributing Member
I just bought a boat with brand new twin BF 225 on it..serial # starts with 17 ?????
but one of this engine got overheated 12 times already..one of temp sensor on ex manifold got hot..so i let Local honda dealer look at it..
Thay said. Nothing is wrong ,,
any idea? This is what i have done..

i checked the water pump.. Looked good..checked each thermostats..( i replaced it with new one..no luck.) . I changed the ecm with port motor.. But still no luck..
i used temp gun to see if it was really hot.. Yes. It was hot...one side(stbd) was hotter than the other side.. Like 175 on stbd ex manifold and 125 on port ex mani fold-The engine got only 6 hours. And engine was running 2000rpm in gear while i was doing this
test.. What am i missing?

If you are experiencing the over heat while out of the water and on muffs, that doesn't work. All the 200's and 225's overheat on muffs. Also, for some strange reason the starboard side heats up faster than the port side and will stay at a higher temperature until it is run out under power for a period of time. Once fully warmed up under power, both heads ought to settle down to around 160 F +/-. Depending on where you are located and enviromental temperatures, 175 is not too hot, however, 125 is definitely too low.

Okay - questions: What is telling you that the engine is overheating? Are you getting an alarm? If you have a four-light key panel, and you have an overheat situation, you shoud get a continuous alarm, and the red over-heat light should be on.

Back