Logo

Honda BF 150 runs bad in gear

Janove

Hi

I have a Honda BF 150(2012) with 500 hours that starts and revs up with no problem in neutral, but when put in gear it will struggle to rev up and run rough,
can be driven on low RPM but feels like it is going to die when revving up and a not sounding right.

Anyone who have experienced anything like this or have a suggestion?

In neutral the prop does no work.----So likely motor has a bad cylinder.----Do a compression test .----And check for spark on each cylinder.

I agree with racerone. This could be something as simple as a bad spark plug or it might be more complicated like a valve issue or the engine has jumped time.

You can sometimes easily identify that a cylinder is missing or timing is off by hooking up a vacuum gauge.
If you don't have the knowledge to do that or other basics like fuel pressure, compression or power balance testing, then you're probably going to need to have a pro look at it.

Sad to say there's lots of rip off artists and hacks out there so you need to choose a shop carefully or you'll just be wasting time and money.

Try to find someone with a good reputation that has the proper tools like Dr.H diagnostic.

Good luck.

Thank you for all tips, the boat has been standing for a while. I inherited it. What i know is that the battery's are pretty much done, i have to change those. Gas is fresh with no ethanol. I am handing it over to a recommended shop this weekend, they will diagnose and service the engine.

How long is a while? It could have water or dirt in your fuel system or just rotten gas. Was this a well maintained outboard? May just need new filters, spark plugs, etc.

Sometimes, in long storage situations, little critters like spiders or wasps will build nests in areas that can effect the running of an outboard and cause those types of symptoms. Hopefully, it's something simple like that.

Good luck and please update the post with what you find.

Before sending it off to a pro, get yourself a hand tank and some fuel line to connect to engine. Empty fuel water and low pressure cups on the engine and if the drain screw on the VST cooperates drain the fuel from the VST down the plastic straw. then attach a hand tank with fresh gas and some techron or seafoam in it, pump it back full with primer ball . run it a bit and then let sit over night. Then with hand tank attached take it out for a spin and see if it has gotten better or make powers (can achieve 5500 in gear and gets boat on plane). If it gets better repeat process until injectors are cleared. but it if it runs ok at idle and revs up fine in neutral but stumbles when giving it throttle in gear it sounds like clogged or bad injectors. Get it running and disconnect injector electric power on the rail one at a time. The injector that doesn't make it run worse when disconnected is the bad one.

To give an update, the engine is running just fine now. A bad spark plug caused the symptoms, changed all spark plugs and it is good. Thank you all for guidance

Back