Logo

Honda BF 100 will crank but not fire

Wolfepack

Boat has been sitting for 4 months. Will turn over but won't even attempt to fire. Throttle is in neutral ,safety lanyard engaged. Squeezed fuel bulb to purge some fuel. What next please.

If you don’t have ether on hand WD40 will work also. Another advantage of WD40 is it will displace moisture. This conversation I had years ago with a mechanic during a cold snap (-40C) when he was trying to get pickups running that hadn’t been plugged in(block heaters). His claim was that WD40 has some lubrication properties were as ether has none.

If it won't start there is a problem, most likely fuel. Get someone to turn the ignition on for you while you listen close to the left side of the motor, you should hear the fuel pump whirring for about 5 seconds. If silent you have a siezed high pressure pump.From my experience, apart from the obvious like kill switches etc the most common cause of no start is fuel related

Agreed- "the most common cause of no start is fuel related." Hitting it with a short burst of ether sort of eliminates a lot of troubleshooting for me. If it tries to start, you know the ignition is fine, making the assumption there's something going on with the fuel a safe one. If there's no attempt to start, safe bet you have something going on with the ignition.

My 2004 BF130 EFI had the same problem I changed the fuel pump and it started right up. I could hear the HP fuel pump come on but it would not hold pressure.

Back