Logo

Honda BF (0 all sorts of idling and runnign issues, finally fixed major Carb problems

DavidNolan598

Im a beginner but…, am posting this to help others.

My service dealer was booked solid so we tried it.

After tearing off the manifold and cleaning the old carbs the first time, we used the existing rubber o rings on the jets. When we got it all back together it ran at about the 80 percent level, until I took the boat out and then after about two miles the motor died out.

I checked the spark, wires, plugs, fuel pump, etc. We messed around with the carb needle vales and idle adjustments, and got nothing. We finally decided to pull the carbs off again and I ordered a factory service manual.

On the first carb (the bottom most, the slow speed idle jet #40 o ring had dissolved. On the others, most were either shredding or hard as a rock. I ordered the low speed jets and the float ring and o ring set and had them fedexed. The parts were ordered last Wed and by 3 pm Friday I had them.

After cleaning out the carbs again, we put it back together and it runs like a top. I borrowed a friends vacuum tube measurement and Gary balanced the carbs for me, and it runs so nicely.

The cost to do this was 98 dollars in parts, and 83 bucks for the factory service manual, and a borrowed vacuum pump. The parts i bought were the small jets (4) and four o rings float bowl rings. You should probably order the manifold gaskets and airbox gasket as well cause you may ding them up pulling them off.

It is not hard at all.. The hardest thing was learnig you cant get the air box off until you get the manifold off.

That alcohol in the fuel just tears up o rings and turns into jellied snot. If your motor is running like crap, and you have a Honda, its probably in the carbs or bad fuel.

balancing the carbs was easy and really helped a lot as well.

As an aside, I took apart my Tohatsu carb and the fuel line and filter and carb was all mucked up. Easy to do and now both motors run like new.
My Honda is a BF 2000 and has 1100 hours on it.

Dave

Re: Honda BF (0 all sorts of idling and runnign issues, finally fixed major Carb prob

David - Thanks for the informative post. We need more folks to post their successes. That helps everyone to better understand issues with their engins

May I suggest that you re-post that commentary with a different title naming your type engine, the year, and something like "Diagnosing and repairing carb problems." This will help new folks who are searching these many forums.

Back