Logo

Honda 9.9 Stuck Lower Gear Drain bolt

Justin Elia

The bolt on my 9.9 is completely seized and will not budge one bit. The top bolt, however, comes out fine. Can I tip the engine on its side to drain the gear fluid and pump in new fluid with a squirt bottle?

The bolt on my 9.9 is completely seized and will not budge one bit. The top bolt, however, comes out fine. Can I tip the engine on its side to drain the gear fluid and pump in new fluid with a squirt bottle?

Hi Justin,
I had the same problem on one of my brand new BF60s. I couldn't gwt the darn bolt out with any of my screwdrivers. I finally used an impact screwdriver - one light whack while holding the bit firmly in place and it popped right loose. I couldn't locate the one I had in my toolbox so I went to Harbor Freight and picked one up for about $10. Hope this helps.

Have you tried an impact screw driver, sprayed the screw with pb-blaster,let soak overnight, without both screws out,drain&vent it could take forever to drain out that oil. You might be able to suck the oil out with a pump and small hose

For me, the impact driver works every time. Just make sure it is set to turn counterclockwise. I screwed that up once.

I find about 80% or higher need to be loosened with an impact driver. So, I just reach for that tool any time I need to remove the gear case drain or fill screw as well as the engine oil drain plug. A must have tool for doing your own maintenance.

Impact drivers require a certain "technique" to use them correctly to prevent slippage and "boogering" up the screw slot.

They are also sold in varying degrees of quality. Do yourself a BIG favor and buy a high quality tool. The cheap ones will just frustrate you and damage your equipment while a really good one works much more easily and quickly.

Good luck.

Do you guys use the Phillips head or slot head on the impact driver? My drain bolt has both options and I have to be honest, the Phillips portion of the bolt has some wear on it from trying to loosen it

I would use the slotted bit.
Make sure it fits well.
When you replace the drain plugs and washers don't overtighten them.

Agree with using the slotted portion. But, if you booger it up to the point it won't grip, you still have two more ways to go:

1. Use a Dremel with carbide wheel to carefully cut a "new" slot perpendicular to the old one.

2. Use a hammer and center punch to strike near the edge of the screw head and "walk" the screw around in a counter clockwise direction until it is loose.

In both cases you will need to use a new screw plug and oring.

Good luck

Back