Water fuel separator new and clean
Fuel filter clean
Fuel bulb firm when running
Throttle linkage looks good
Starts 1[SUP]st[/SUP] crank
Idles smooth
Runs great - EXCEPT

My last 2 fishing trips I had the same similar experience:
Launched and went up to WOT (Wide Open Throttle). Could only get to about 4,500 RPMs and 22 MPH. Usually WOT about 5,500 RPMs and 30 MPH. After fishing for about an hour (engine off) I went to WOT. Ran great. 5,500 RPMs and 30 MPH. But, after about 15 minutes WOT the engine RPMs slowly drifted back down to 4,500 RPMs and held steady there. I did not change the tabs, trim or throttle. After next fishing stop same sequence of events.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance. I haven’t replaced plugs yet, but they look good. All I can think of is some fuel (injector), gas or timing issue. Of course the diagnostic part is difficult since the problem is somewhat intermittent.

About a year ago it took several cranks to start. I ran a bottle of Chevron’s injector cleaner through the gas tank and no problem since.

If anyone could point me to the schematic for the high pressure fuel filter for a 2009 BF50 fuel injection I would appreciate it. I can't find in my shop manual and on the boats.net parts site all they show is carb models.
Thanks

talkslessridesmore
High pressure filter -> dirty, dirty, dirty
ordering a new one
Chawk_man
Now, how to drain the VST? Do I need to pull it or is there a way to flush or drain it while still installed?
Thanks guys

Hondadude needs to explain that. I'm not that familiar with the 50. On my 225 there a a clear plastic tube looped in a holder on the rear starboard side of the engine. Follow that tube to the end, and there is a set screw next to it. Put the open end of the tube into a clear glass quart jar, then open the set screw about three turns. The pressure in the VST forces out all the gas through the tube and into the jar. If nothing comes out, it is clogged. Try blowing some compressed air back through the tube. If that does not open it up, then it needs to be removed and cleaned. Drain it until nothing else comes out. If you are lucky, it will be nothing but clear gas. Otherwise, you will see some junk and possibly some water. If there is water, then your fuel-water seperator failed some time along the way. If there is a lot of gunk, then you will need to remove the VST and clean it, and probably should clean the fuel lines back to the fuel-water seperator.

Back