Logo

Honda 50 prop size

dvto2

I am trying to figure out what pitch and diameter I should be looking at for a propeller for my Honda 50. I believe the year on the motor is 2006. It is running a Lund WS-16. This was a boat made only a few years in the mid 1980’s. The boat is 16 feet long and has a beam of 73”. It’s rated for 6 passengers or 900 pounds and a 50hp motor. I will carry between 2 and six passengers. Six is not ideal in this boat. 2 or three work well. I typically run aluminum props as I run in very rocky rivers in Ontario. Brand suggestions would also be welcomed.

Props are a compromise. Setting it up for 6 people, then using with 1 or 2 90% of the time seems like a waste.

14p for a heavily loaded boat, and 15p for a lighter one would be where I would start.

I’m going to say heavily laden 50% of the time.
As mentioned, it's a compromise. There's no RIGHT prop. I've found these are generally pretty close on a couple of alum side console fishing boats I use for testing.

Buy one and if it doesn't work out for you, buy the other size and have an extra prop on hand....

Shouldn't you consider the RPM range? I have a BFP 60A and the existing 14X9 (Old corroded, chipped etc) was giving me 5200 and when I replaced it with a new 13.8X9 it now runs 5900 RPM and 3MPH faster! An experienced Honda dealer/tech said my motor is a 6000RPM motor and it needs to be propped right. I would check the Honda web site and look at the range recommended. Lower pitch Higher RPM is what I was told. I'm no expert here, just adding my recent experience with this Honda motor. New wishes with yours.

Back