Logo

Honda 4 stroke oil from carb intake

roaster

Went steelhead fishing tonight

Went steelhead fishing tonight. Motor ran for a couple of minutes and died. Will restart but only run for a short period. After getting it home and in the shop I see there is a large amount of milky oil coming from the carb intake. Any ideas ? Thanks

"Hi Tim,
More questions than

"Hi Tim,
More questions than answers. Does this motor sit alot? Do you drain the carb after every outing? How old is the fuel?
The milky oil is most likely coming from the crankcase vent line. Condensation in the valve cover and crankcase oil vapor combine to make your "milkshake". Common causes are improper storage... Motor stored on it's side. Engine oil level too high. If you run this motor trimmed too far under the transom, upper end oil drain back is lessened and could cause this. These engines and carbs hate stale or wet fuel and if you don't drain the carbs and use fresh fuel, I would guess that is where the stall is coming from. My experience is that the carburetor wants a good cleaning. Good news is that the engine starts so it is probably not hurt."

"Thanks Jimmy, I run the boat

"Thanks Jimmy, I run the boat a lot although I only use the Honda motor for trolling. I do however start and run the Honda motor a couple of times a month during our outings up the river. The boat is always stored inside and the Honda motor uses fuel from the main tanks. I use the boat a lot so the fuel is always fresh. Unfortunately I don't have an owners manual as the original owner lost it. I am in the process of obtaining a new one. I do pull the motor back while I use the inboard motor then lower it again during trailering. The oil dipstick has 300 400 500 600 700 and 800 marked on it. I will await my manual so I can tell where the oil level is to be. I do agree the milky color of the oil indicated water. Thanks for your suggestions. Any further help you have would be appreciated."

"Thanks Mike, I will download

"Thanks Mike, I will download the manual. Yes it was a typo. It is an 8 HP. Your help is appreciated."

"I have the same problem excep

"I have the same problem except i only have oil coming from carb intake,BF15 1997.had not used boat for 5 mths gave it an oil change (did not over fill)went fishing lost power,motor did not stop,checked spark only ran on bottom plug came home put new plugs in went out ran good for 300 mtrs then same thing blowing oil out of carby intake,i think the rings on top piston stuck.Any suggestions what to do,and would carby cleaner spray unstick rings. Thanks Trevor."

"Hi Trevor,

Sure, I'd t

"Hi Trevor,

Sure, I'd try to "shock" it loose if I thought it was stuck. If you haven't done it before, here's how;

Ideally, you need access to the carb directly so you may need to adapt some bolts to hold the carb on without any spark arrestor or "muffler" as Honda calls the intake ducting.

You need to familiarize yourself with a way to throttle the carb with one hand while spraying the carb cleaner in the other. The newer engines allow you to do this without disconnecting the throttle linkage but I'm not sure about your model.

Run the engine, (I always use a test tank or trash can full of water) at approximately 1500 to 2000 rpm and, using the straw tip that comes with a new can, spray directly into the venturi (throat) of the carb. As the engine starts to bog, because you are essentially richening the fuel mixture, you need to open the throttle to give it more air and keep it running. Try to run it in a "semi-bogged down" condition while spraying for about ten seconds at a time and use a whole can of spray. This "proceedure" takes a bit of practice to get it right.

CAUTION: You don't want to run it too long in this manner because you are washing down the cylinder wall with the carb spray and if you don't "breathe" it and allow some oil to splash up with the piston, you could score the cylinder. So, 10 seconds at a pop.

You might try a couple of cans to see if it doesn't improve and, if it does, start running a dose of Sea Foam additive to the fuel each time you fill the tank but don't "over treat". Good luck"

Back