Logo

Honda 225 Backup Battery CCA

AK_Buck

I am planning to install a separate house battery on my 26' boat. I currently have one starting battery (800 CCA).

I have noticed many house batteries only have 600 CCA. Is this enough to start a 225 hp motor - at least to rely on as a backup? Probably a stupid question, but it's easier to ask than to purchase and install to find out.

Many thanks.

I haven't looked, but the dealer who installed my engine told me I need a 1000cca, I run 2 batteries, so ended up with pair of Interstate batteries.

Roger that. I use the Interstate 900 cca cranking batteries, which gets the job done. I use one for cranking and the other for accessories. Can switch to both batteries if needed. When running the engine, I'll switch to "dual" mode so that both batteries are being charged. If stopped for any significant amount of time, I'll switch to the accessory battery only. Technically, my accessory battery should not be a cranking battery, but a deep cycle. But it's in place now, so will not change it until it's ready to give up the ghost.

Back