Logo

Honda 225 abruptly cut off completely while running around 5000 rpm

watts417

Twice recently my 06 Honda 225 abruptly cut off completely while running around 5000 rpm. Both times the engine fired right back up and ran fine afterwards. A third occasion the engine seemed to have briefly started to stall (split second) but then continued to run fine. With a toddler on board, this is not safe and I need to get it fixed before anymore family trips.

Prior to this problem I recently serviced most of my fuel system due to a bad HP pump, including draining the entire boat tank, removed VST, dismantled and cleaned VST/HP assembly, flushed all fuel lines with fresh fuel, replaced all fuel filters, replaced HP pump and filter (tested old HP pump and it was definitely bad) I did not clean or service the fuel rails or injectors or the low pressure fuel pump. I intend to replace spark plugs this weekend but I cannot imagine bad plugs would cause the engine to randomly shut down abruptly.

After servicing the fuel system I have used the boat five times- Two short 15 minute cruises and three 1-hour round trips to the fishing spot. Both times the engine cut out were 20-30 minutes into the cruise, while running near-WOT which is about 5300 on my Grady 257. Fortunately everyone on board was holding on to the hand rails so nobody fell over.

Thoughts/recommendations? I really wish there were Honda mechanics in my area, if that were an option I would just take it in for professional evaluation.

I assume no alarms and no change in lights on the key switch console. Is that correct?

When I have a complete cut off like that, my first instinct is to suspect the kill switch. They can get corroded internally and cause an arc across the contacts. Disconnect it and test. Be careful! If that fixes the problem, often times simply exercising the kill switch a bunch of times (with the engine off) will cure the problem. Maybe use some electrical contact cleaner or WD-40 on it.

I assume no alarms and no change in lights on the key switch console. Is that correct?

When I have a complete cut off like that, my first instinct is to suspect the kill switch. They can get corroded internally and cause an arc across the contacts. Disconnect it and test. Be careful! If that fixes the problem, often times simply exercising the kill switch a bunch of times (with the engine off) will cure the problem. Maybe use some electrical contact cleaner or WD-40 on it.

No alarms. I didnt take notice to any changes in the lights.
OK good idea, thanks. I assume by "disconnect" you mean just pull the tab out right? Or should I be dismantling and looking at the insides/rear behind the dash? How do I test it though?, using a volt meter somehow? Sorry, Im a dummy LOL.

No, don't just pull the tab - that will definitely stop the engine (or at least it should.) You need to open up your binnacle or key switch - whichever has the switch the tab connects to, and disconnect both of the wires and cap each with a wire nut. When the kill switch is activated (that, is, when the tab is removed) the switch completes a circuit which kills (i.e. grounds) the engine.

If you are not mechanically inclined, then first remove the kill switch tab and spray some contact cleaner in the switch as best as you can and simply work the kill switch in and out a bunch of times. Then test the engine. As I said before, be careful. Running at 5000 rpm and the engine suddenly shuts off can be a bit dicey, which you found out.

If that works, you just have some corrosion in the key switch, which the electrical cleaner should clean up.

If that doesn't work, then get in there and disconnect the wires. If that works, then you have a bad kill switch.

If that doesn't work, then we need to look elsewhere.

perfect! This is very helpful. I initially thought you meant there was a way to test the cut off switch with some sort of electrical test light or something. Rather, you are saying Testing is basically completing said tasks and sea-trialing the boat for a few trips until the problem doesnt re-occur.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out!!!

No, don't just pull the tab - that will definitely stop the engine (or at least it should.) You need to open up your binnacle or key switch - whichever has the switch the tab connects to, and disconnect both of the wires and cap each with a wire nut. When the kill switch is activated (that, is, when the tab is removed) the switch completes a circuit which kills (i.e. grounds) the engine.

If you are not mechanically inclined, then first remove the kill switch tab and spray some contact cleaner in the switch as best as you can and simply work the kill switch in and out a bunch of times. Then test the engine. As I said before, be careful. Running at 5000 rpm and the engine suddenly shuts off can be a bit dicey, which you found out.

If that works, you just have some corrosion in the key switch, which the electrical cleaner should clean up.

If that doesn't work, then get in there and disconnect the wires. If that works, then you have a bad kill switch.

If that doesn't work, then we need to look elsewhere.

Back