Logo

Honda 200 RPM & WOT Problem

southerntoon

Hello

I have used but new to me 2010 Honda BF200A but I believe it was actually built in 2008 but not sold until 2010. Still under warranty but my local honda dealer is a one man tech shop and stays backed up.

I put this motor on a 24FT Tritoon and I installed a new honda controls and gauges. Prop is a 4 Blade 14 1/4 x 17 (what came with motor) First two water trials the boat ran according to the gauge 40mph +/- at 5000 RPMS (this was with a full tank and about 500lbs on board). Boat stays in a slip in the water and about 30 days later with about 1200lbs and a full tank of gas the numbers dropped to 30mph and 4500 rpms. Now with 500-700lbs and a full tank of gas the numbers are way down to 25mph at 4800-5000 rpms.

My understanding is that this motor creates it best hp at 5800-6000 rpms Which I have not seen yet. I presently have the motor on a manual jack plate and I am trying to the get the height correct. I have had some say you should see the cavitation plate and others say not so much on a tritoon - that it depends on your hull/transom?

Other noted problems along the way:

1. Sometimes after the first crank and running an hour or only 15 minutes - upon re-crank it idles fine but when giving it throttle it will start to hesitate and almost stall. After idling for a minute and giving it some gas not in gear - it will run fine.

2. I put a new universal fuel line with bulb from the tank to the motor. However I can not get the bulb to prime hard when the motor is off. When I squeeze it - it squeezes with ease but I can hear fuel in there but the bulb never gets hard.

2. Seems to surge a little bit at WOT. I have read in some threads that the high pressure fuel filter could be the cause of my problems?

So at present I leaning towards replacing both the low and high pressure fuel filters and checking the fuel pressure.

I just think that the motor or something is not operating correctly. It seems that others with a similar setup are consistently running in the 40-45 mph range WOT and are seeing 5800-6000 rpms. Previous owner had a mercury 225 optimax running way better mph numbers with a 3 blade 15 1/2 x 22 pitch prop at 5750mph.

Any help, thoughts, advice and assistance will be much appreciated.

Back