Logo

Honda 1996 bf30a

cteucher

I Replaced the water pump on my Outboard And I don't think I have enough water coming out of the indicator port The motor hasn't been ran for several years How do I tell if the water tube is lined up properly? And should there be water coming out Where the shifter shaft comes out Any help would be greatly appreciate

Hi,
First off, I haven't worked on one of these so I could be completely wrong. Please keep that in mind.
But here's my 2 pennies worrh:

If you are asking about water coming up into the engine mount case from the upper shift shaft, that's probably not so good.

There is a rubber grommet that the water tube fits in (item 14 in the link below) and it sounds as if you may have missed it when putting the gearcase back or it is missing/damaged. Getting that tube reinstalled correctly after it's been disturbed is tricky for sure sometimes. And, I believe that the grommet gets mangled and pinched when you miss.

I know from other old outboards that I have repaired that a damaged/deteriorated grommet is not unusual and that can also mean that the hole for the grommet can be eroded or wallowed out from water pressure or the water tube banging around.

I have fixed a few by applying and shaping epoxy to reconstruct the hole so that the grommet will fit and stay put but it's always required removing the powerhead.

I see there is a grommet for the water tube that fits into the extension case. I'm not sure why that's there but it could be to hold and help align the tube. Like I said, I'm less than a rookie on one of these models.

Here's where you can buy a legitimate shop manual if you're interested:

Expensive but usually well worth it to the DIYer

Good luck.

Just some thoughts: 1) pull off the small black water hose on the CDI side of the motor and run the motor briefly. If flow is good then maybe problem in hose section that goes under the motor to the other side, 2) Thermostat could be all clogged up and stopping flow. It has easy access on CDI side on top of exhaust water jacket. 3) Honda sells a garden hose adapter to allow you to put water directly to the lower unit for a basic flush. 4) Then try running backwards with garden hose run water thru the exit hose for another flush that way. 5) If still no good flow perhaps more internal so water jacket by thermostat can be removed and checked. There is an anode in there that cold break up from salt water and plug holes too; so many little things mechanically can stop the water flow. 6), The impeller has to be installed only one way so be sure you installed it to spin in the correct direction ( is different for different Hondas, so check dealer or manual for your motor). Hope something helps as I am learning too, Happy boating.

Back