Logo

Honda 150's running hot

Hey guys -

ive got a pair of Honda 150's that I've gone to hell and back with over the past two years. I had major alarm problems for overheating and engines shutting off. Honda had more than 5 dealers look at them and repair everything to no avail. They finally found something computer related (after lots of threats) and they've been running great with no issues since. I've got them hooked up to my garmin navigatio/computer system and noticed today, with no alarms, the engines were running at 220 degrees (they were each pissing water), and it's starting to worry me as that is HOT. Again, no alarms and they run fine, but what is the max temp range? I was planning on running the boat 60 miles from the Florida keys on Friday to the Bahamas but just started getting worried. I was a little nervous last week when I saw them sitting at 198ish each. Mind you, they were at 220 F running between 4200-4700, so wasn't running them hard.

any advice, or is this is line temp wise on the blocks? If the alarms aren't setting off and shutting the engines off ( like they used to) could it be my over expensive garmin?

What did the temperature readings used to be on the Garmin. The temperature sensor that the garmin sees is not the same sensor that the engine is looking at for an overheat. It will always read higher. However, if the reading is higher than it used to be on the Garmin, then something may be going on.

Mike

If you have, or can get you hands on an infrared heat gun (they're pretty cheap at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool), check the manifolds with the engines warmed up good and running. That would give you the assurance that problem is not the engine, but the signal going to or being read by your Garmin network.

Back