Logo

Honda 130 oil filters?

Sea_Slueth

I've been told that the 130 engine is identical (in most ways) to one of their automobile engines and some of the parts (oil filters) are interchangeable.

If so, which engine and why can't I use an oil filter for a matching car on the outboard engine?

Owners says use geunine Honda filter or EQUIVALENT QUALITY. NAPA and several others auto/marine retailers carry equivalent oil filters. BTW - I highly recommend you change the filter every time you change the oil - every 100 hours.

To follow-up on this...

Does anyone know if the latest version of 15400-RTA-004 is still made by Toyo Roki? I don't mind paying a little more for the Honda branded filter. But would like to know what I'm getting. :)

From what I've been told, there are only 3 filters for ALL Honda motors. Obviously there are three different sizes, but there is no difference between the auto vs car vs whatever. They are sold with different part numbers ON THE CELOPHANE WRAPPER. That way each division is in charge of selling THEIR own equipment. So, once you know what size you need, buy the car ones. They are 3x cheaper!

Accord
Insight
Civic

I asked the same question http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?379850-BF130-Oil-Filter

The Honda outboard filter has a different o-ring setup....I decided to go with the OEM Honda one for piece of mind.

I've read that thread three times and the only size difference (about the threads, was an EQUIVELANT to a Honda filter, not a BLUE car Honda filter) was not a Honda blue filter.

There is no paint difference! There is no gasket difference.

Guys, I'm telling you, they are exactly the same filters with a different cellophane wrapper. One with a car part number on the wrapper, the other filter with a marine part number. Think about it.

It's already been said that they only make 3 filters, re-read that post. It verifies it too.

Last edited:
Back