Logo

Honda 10hp 2002 versus yamaha 15 hp 2005

basil

"i recently bought a secondhan

"i recently bought a secondhand 15 x6 foot open boat with extra heavy grp layup it came with a 10 hp honda 4 stroke that looks to be hardly used. it idles slowly, evenly and quietly(in a tank,weather not good enough for real life test). i have already got a 15 hp yamaha 4 stroke. i have got to sell one. the boats maker rates it for a max 15 hp engine. which engine would give better fuel consumption a 10 working reasonably hard or a 15 cruising.its a consideration in uk with some of the highest petrol prices in the world. anything else i should consider. please help me to decide which is a keeper---regards from uk"

"I personally find the Honda t

"I personally find the Honda to be a better built engine all round, so if I was getting rid of one it would be the Yami.

Between the two you would notice very little difference in gas consumption depending on how you use the motor.

If you tend to run "wide open" most of the time, stick with the 15 horse, otherwise the 10 would do you just fine.

Using the 80% rule of thumb, a boat rated at 15 horse max would be best paired with a 12 horse motor. That rule however, is more critical as you get into the higher horsepowers. A 15 horse will give you approx 2 more mph at wide open compared with the 10.

So in addition to how you will run the motor (troll or zip from one place to the next), if you think you will mostly run "heavy" (a couple of passengers, lot's of gear etc), stick with the bigger horses....

There is a few slightly "disjointed" thoughts on the matter
"

hi graham thanks for reply. i

hi graham thanks for reply. i do tend to run heavy so it should be the yami which i have had from new. but i have been so impreesed with the slow quiet vibration free running of the honda. you might be right about honda build quality. the only downside with the honda seems be that it looks more awkard for diy servicing. still pondering. regards from uk

"Personally prefer Yami for sa

"Personally prefer Yami for salt water, they have better internal engine protection against corrosion then Honda."

Back