Logo

High oil pressure

smatko

I recently put my boat in the

I recently put my boat in the water for the season and noticed when I got to 2000rpms the oil pressure gauge almost topped out. Any advice as to what may cause this would be greatly appriciated. I have a V8 Volvo Penta.

"Cold oil will do that, especi

"Cold oil will do that, especially if of high viscosity. This can happen if you don't warm the engine properly before going full blast. Try to warm the engine for a bit longer.

I assume that you have verified that the oil is fresh, or at least it is in good condition (no water emulsified).

What grade of oil are you using?"

I have a 1998 5.0 Volvo that w

I have a 1998 5.0 Volvo that will not crank. It wa running fine but would not crank back up. It turns over fine and sounds like it will start but does not stay running. Has fresh fuel and seems to be geting to carb. No blockage in fuel lines. Water separator is clear. Any chance there is a sensor in the outdrive tilt indicator that could prevent it from running. Tilt indicator not working (shows full tilt up when full down position).

The question regarding my 1998

The question regarding my 1998 5.0 that will not start is where should I start to determine why engine will not start?

Is there a fuel pump test to determine if it is working?

Is there an electrical test to determine if a problem prevents it from starting?

Is there any type of device that would prevent starting if the trim indicates that it is all the way up because the guage does not work?

The oil is in good condition.

The oil is in good condition. It was changed at the end of last season. I am not sure of the grade because I have a marina change it. I live in upstate NY where the season is about 5 months. Would you recomend changing the oil at the end or begining of the season?

"Eric, if the oil is in good c

"Eric, if the oil is in good condition, I would not worry about it, especially if once it's warm the pressure is normal.

Regarding oil and filter change, I always do mine at the end of the season."

"Eric...I had the same issue..

"Eric...I had the same issue...it turned out that I had the wrong oil sending unit installed...apparently, the marine sending units / guages work at a different resistance (ohmage)than the car units."

Back