Logo

High oil pressure

dawgs

Regular Contributor
2003 Honda bf225. Changed all the fluids. Took the boat out today and it ran great but I noticed my oil pressure Guage pins (30 psi)at 3000 rpms. I don't think it ever did that. What should the pressure be?

Probably has nothing to do with it but my voltage gauge is low also...about 12 volts...it's usually 14 when wot. But my voltage indicator on my fish finder says 13.8

Anyone?

After some research it seems it's not oil pressure gauge after all. Looks like it's my water pressure gauge. Lol. Anyway....is water pressure supposed to fluctuate with rpms?

Mike. Water pressure gauge pins at 3000 rpm . Think I have a partial obstruction? Every now and again I have to poke a piece of mono in the tell tale to unclog it. Pressure seems high right?

Is this motor new to you?

If not, has the water pressure been lower before?

The pressure may vary, depending on where it is being picked up. It should be picked up by the thermostat.

It is possible that you have a restriction.

If you do, then the engine will probably be getting hot.

Mike

I have had the boat 3 years and never noticed the gauge this high ....I think it's something I would have noticed. I'm not sure where it's picked up from but tomorrow I was planning on removing the tell tale tube and inspecting it. Anything else I should look for? Is it possible to have too much pressure? Can it harm the motor?

If it is "T'd" off of the tell tale and the tell tale is plugged, then the pressure may be pretty high and it should not hurt the engine.

If it is picked up where it should be, then it is time to check thermostats and actual temperature of the engine with a laser temp gun. That is the only way to know for sure.

Mike

I looked on the motor today. The tube comes from a port by the thermostat and runs up to the helm. Obviously that's the one feeding the gauge. But the tell tale tube ....I cannot see where it comes from the block....it snakes inside the cowling and I lose it. Where is it connected to the motor?

The gauge pickup point sounds like it is the correct place to tap into the system. Off the top of my head, I can not tell you where the tell tale hose goes. For what we are doing, it does not matter at this point.

As I said before, the best thing to do is to check the temperature of each thermostat housing and exhaust housings with a temperature gun. That will put your mind to rest. If you do not have one, Harbor
Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-61894.html

There may be less expensive versions on the net.

Mike

Get a gallon of saltaway and run the engine in a barrel for half hour or so with saltaway in it. That will clean out all the cooling circuits do you flush the motor with tap water after each use? Also store the motor in the running position so it drains out completely between uses!

One of those little horse troughs or a big storage bin works good for flushing the cooling system just make sure the water level is about 4-5 inches above the water pump impeller.

At idle, the operating temp is 160 F +/- at the manifolds, where I have external heat sensors installed. A funny quirk with my 225 is that when I'm running above 1500 rpm, the left cylinder bank stays at 160 F, but the right bank will drop to 140 - 145 F. So far, no one has been able to offer a credible explanation for that quirk.

Also, the t-stats do not fully open until 160 F.

Looks like we found the problem. Even with the motor off the gauge reads 10 psi. Looks like I need a new guage.

Back