Logo

hi new to forum need help

wullie195

Hi to all hope someone can help i removed gearcase from 1976 55hp evinrude for waterpump replacement disconnected gear shift rod to replace houseing grommet i noticed that drive shaft could still be turned but has now went solid have i brocken somthing or has somthing happened inside i don,t want to start putting new pump or gearshift houseing back together untill im satisfied that iv not brocken anything many thank,s

By "gearshift housing" I assume that you removed the housing that the shift rod lides thru. In doing so, you probably put the gearcase in gear. This would allow the driveshaft to turn but with a slight resistance... not a free wheeling type rotation.

The height measurement of the shift rod is critical... it must be exact, adjusted and measured in neutral as follows.

1975 - 1978 - 50, 55, 60hp Electric Start = (S) 15-29/32" - - (L) 20-29/32" plus/minus 1/32" Have shift rod in neutral.

Hi to all hope someone can help i removed gearcase from 1976 55hp evinrude for waterpump replacement disconnected gear shift rod to replace houseing grommet i noticed that drive shaft could still be turned but has now went solid have i brocken somthing or has somthing happened inside i don,t want to start putting new pump or gearshift houseing back together untill im satisfied that iv not brocken anything many thank,s
Many thank,s but it is only moving about 1/4 of an inch before that it was turning with resistance will try applying a wee bit force

How long have you owned the motor ? ------Any water in the gear oil ??
Yes there was water in the gear oil stripped it down to replace waterpump and gearshift rod houseing noticed that rubber bellow type seal was split also houseing corroded have all new parts drive shaft was turning before so rigth now i have no water pump or gearshift rod or houseing inplace and cant turn drive shaft thank,s

Water in the gear oil ?--------Did you take it all apart for inspection of all bearings / gears and replacement of all the oil seals ????

Noticed water in gearoil split leg and noticed waterpump knackered and shift rod houseing corroded also bellow type grommet split got full replacement pump and also gearshift houseing and seals not fitted yet as it was turning and then stopped will be conecting shift rod tomorrow and see if i can free it thank,s

Hi guys gearshift conected back up looks like it was jammed up somwhere only 24hrs on this forum and im sorted many thank,s guy,s p.s can anyone tell me what other bit,s are compatable with this outboard ie year model got three fuel pumps all identical but all different number,s stamped on them

Many thank,s was offered another gearcase in bettween getting onto forum and getting some help from you guy,s just wondered if i could just change them over to be honest iv just come from a few year,s of running seagull so im well aware i have got lot,s to learn once again many thank,s

Hi guys back to the start noticed water in gearbox removed leg waterpump knacked gearshift houseing corroded small bellow type seal split so ordered new complete waterpump kit new shift rod houseing and seals whilst awaiting parts rubbed down and painted geargase and noticed prop would not turn it was previously turning as well as driveshaft replaced gearshift pulled shiftrod up went tn neutral push shiftrod down nothing happens jammed same goes when i bring it up through neutral what have i done dont fancy having to strip down gear box help needed thank,s

Have oil plugs been left out for a week or more ?--------If water sat in the bearings for a week or more and exposed to the air it may be a rusted mess inside.---------------I would say it needs to come apart for inspection !---------If you don't do that it just may come apart on it's own after some running.

Hi oil plugs where left out overnight just to let drain then sprayed with lube never refilled with oil because was waiting till waterpump and gearshift getting shipped from usa so you are probabley right not looking forward to strip down been offered another gearcase but don,t know if it would fit many thank,s

Back