Logo

HELP

"here i am again. i have a a 1

"here i am again. i have a a 1979 volvo AQ140A. it runs great, planes out great. the only thing is once up on plane for about 1 minute it boggs out. i idle it down real quick and it goes again. it seems to be getting fuel because the fuel filter is staying full. please help me."

"I am reposting here my answer

"I am reposting here my answer to Chris from yesterday's, slightly amended:

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/86660.shtml

It could be due to a fuel related problem, like the anti-syphon valve in your fuel tank starting to act-up and occasionally restricting the amount of fuel reaching the carb. Or that the fuel pump is not pumping as much as it should. Or one of the carbs is overflowing and creates a very rich mixture. To troubleshoot some of the above possible fuel problems, you can run the engine from a jerrycan and see if the symptoms clear. You should be able to make a temporary arrangement where you can switch from the fuel tank to the jerrycan without stopping the engine. Or even easier, just check that the anti-syphon valve is not stuck and that the fuel pump delivers fuel at 2-4 psi.

It could also be a distributor related problem or the coil not getting 12V. You can (for test purposes) hotwire the + of the coil from the + battery and see if the symptoms clear; and if they do, then you have to find whather you have a defective ignition switch, dirty/loose connections, etc."

Back