Logo

HELP

I just bought a nice running older 150 black max to replace the somewhat newer 150 black max that burnt the pistons. The motor I had on it was a XR2 150hp and i believe made in 1985, this motor I'm trying to put on it a 1978 model ser. #5108706. I thought this would be a fairly simple swap but almost everything is different on these models. From the bolt pattern of the motor. to the power trim, but mostly the wiring. I took the wiring harness off my XR2 to use on this one as the boat has a plug for the xr2 motor and this one was hard wired on the boat I took it off of. I have managed to figure out everything, BUT how to turn it off? IT starts off the key and runs great, but when I turn the key off it stays running. Even disconnecting the battery does kill it, so the charging system is working good. :) Any one know what I need to do to get this to turn on and off with the key? Here is a picture of the wiring where would the black and yellow wires go?

Attachments

• MERC WIRING2.jpg
    MERC WIRING2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
You need to check to see if ground wires on switchbox mounting plate are attached and blk/yel wires are connected. Just a heads up you will not have the performance you you used to have. may engine need to change prop pitch. You went from about 155Hp at prop to about 130HP

Here is a picture of the wiring where would the black and yellow wires go? the 2 black and yellow wires coming from the boat are currently not hooked up as I don't know where they should go on the moduals.

Attachments

• MERC WIRING2.jpg
    MERC WIRING2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Don't disconnect the battery while running you'll destroy the rectifier/regulator - the ignition is powered by a stator under the flywheel not the battery!

The second terminal over on switchbox marked blk/yell is where the blk/yell wires go...the old colors was a orangish pink they called salmon

I got it figured out , It now turns on and OFF with the key. It turned out to be a ground wire coming from the key wasn't hooked to ground like I thought it was. It was hooked to a black tab that I think is plastic, but looks like metal. I figured this out by using my meter and just checking for what was hot and what was grounded.
So all I need to do to finish it up, is put in a new impeller and replace the broken choke linkage when they get here.

Since you disconnected the battery while it was running check the voltage at the battery it should go from 12.5v to 13 or so around 2500rpm [in forward in water], if the battery is low charge it up first.

Back