Logo

Help

Scd2747

Hello guys new to the site and just got my 1967 17 whaler. Put a tohatsu 90 hp on the. Back and now am having some difficulties. I'm unsure on how to hook the throttle and shift cables to the motor. I have them hooked up on the throttle itself but am stuck on this part.
Any help would be greatly appreciated it is a 2000 model 90hp tohatsu. Someone said that cables have to loop around the motor, any truth to this and which way. Also the steering wheel didn't come with a bolt that locks in onto the helm. Any idea on where I can find this replacement or what size . Thanks

You can drop by a local dealer for assistance in rigging your motor and wheel. Most modern wheels use a nut on a 3/4" shaft to retain them to the helm... if you can identify the brand/model of the helm, you may be able to get a spare part for the shaft. If you want a service manual, be sure to get a Factory (Tohatsu) manual from any Nissan/Tohatsu dealer, including me.

Tohatsu outboards use standard Morse-type control cables, and the outer jackets of the cables fit into "gates" at the motor end. Then the clevis "eye" fits onto an arm inside the motor cowling. The clevis is retained by a nylon washer and an "R" pin. Yes, it is normal to have a loop of cable at the motor, to allow the motor to turn without causing the cables to bind. The correct cable length is cpmputed as follows: (the distance from the control to the transon) + (1/2 the transom width) + (3 feet - for the loop).

Back