Logo

Help With Mercury 4.5 Stator Wiring

rocknroj

Contributing Member
Good day I have an old mercury 4.5hp 2 stroke. Hope to get it running again and pass it on to someone. Lost my before pics and my books don't really show what I need. Trying to figure out the stator connections for the mercury 4.5 hp.. I have the wires layed out the way I think they need to go together once I get some nuts and screws. From what I read there is a low and high speed coil and it seems the wires are only long enough to go one way. Thanks again.

Pics are here...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rocknroj/albums/72177720305251614

Last edited:
Keep us informed of your progress with this engine. I have 5 of them 1967 3.9 (standard magneto), 1971, 1973, 1979, and 1985 Phasemaker gen 1 and gen 2.

Keep us informed of your progress with this engine. I have 5 of them 1967 3.9 (standard magneto), 1971, 1973, 1979, and 1985 Phasemaker gen 1 and gen 2.

I will do that.. Want to add another to your collection?..Alas shipping is prohibitive I think..

What year do you think mine is 75?

Gonna do some tests based on the doc you linked me.

This one ran fine when I got it, then I replaced the leaky fuel line from to the carb and never got it start again. It was too small for my purposes as I needed a 'get me home' trolling motor so I took it off the boat as soon as I got it. Figured I would fix the fuel leak before seeking a new owner. Now it sits in my backyard.

Was a freshwater motor used in CA before making its way up to me in Seattle.

I will do that.. Want to add another to your collection?..Alas shipping is prohibitive I think.. What year do you think mine is 75? Gonna do some tests based on the doc you linked me. This one ran fine when I got it, then I replaced the leaky fuel line from to the carb and never got it start again. It was too small for my purposes as I needed a 'get me home' trolling motor so I took it off the boat as soon as I got it. Figured I would fix the fuel leak before seeking a new owner. Now it sits in my backyard. Was a freshwater motor used in CA before making its way up to me in Seattle.
Yes, yours is a 1975. Probably a little cost prohibitive from Seattle to North Florida. Just for the heck of it, what is your zip code? I've had motors shipped with Fastenal from around the country.

Been looking at this thing and the provided link on phasemaker. Perhaps mine has been monkeyed with but the kill switch definitely provides continuity when pressed. There is a ground connection to the mounting screw for the condensor/capacitor... Seems the generator coils and capacitor are good. That skinny braided wire that runs under the secondary coil and sits between the frame and the coil sure seems like a sketchy way to get ground. Here is a pic with some annotations of my connections.. Seems I should be able to get as spark without the kill switch. Am I correct?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rocknroj/52664919541

The engine was running before you replaced the leaking fuel line, so make sure the wires are connected the way they were when you started this? if the engine lost fire after you repaired the fuel line, I would be looking for a broken wire somewhere

make sure the white plastic points insulator is not cracked! It will leak voltage there and ground itself. continuity test on the white points wire to screw that goes to breaker. to test if points and wire/insulator are the culprit, simply take off white points wire from coil and turn motor over while tapping it to ground. if it sparks, check as mentioned. do not get shocked this ignition is nasty!

Back