Logo

Help with Inst

joel8080

Contributing Member
I just bought some new old VDO YAZAKI inst for my boat and they seem pretty straight forward BUT what does the R & S on the back of the inst stand for I understand the + & ground but not the R & S.

Joel

new old VDO YAZAKI inst

I didn't know VDO every collaborated with Yazaki...VDO (at least in the US) is now owned by Continental.

The S is normal VDO indicator for the Sending Unit connection for their electrical gauges. The R is 'new' to me. Is this terminal on everyone of your instruments or just a select one? Also, is there actually an electrical connection (tab/terminal) or just the R molded into the casting?

The R & S are on all the Gauges and each letter has a tab in front of it. I found out that Yazaki and VDO had a joint venture on gauges for a few years and now Continental owns it, I sent them an email and received a answer back that it was routed to the correct person/department, I'm happy I did not hold my breath waiting for an answer.

Joel

Didn't know that... The tech support group has always been great with me. Hopefully they'll get you the answer. If you need it, may be able to find a name, number & email for a gauge guru in that shop.

"R" maybe for Remote illumination, especially if the bulb's socket has no wires leading out the back of it. Should be able to verify this with the bulb removed using an ohm meter.

I was just going to send you a reply, just found out from a gauge shop, that the normal light is green but if put power to the R tab they become red, sounds good?, they are sending me some paper work on the gauges. Living in Panama and trying to get information some times is tough, but hopefully the shop was correct and the paper work they send me will set me straight. One thing I tell you the gauges are beautiful 4" tachs with hour meters and the other gauges are 2 inch.

Joel

Back