Logo

Help with driveshaft removal of a 80’s/90’s model Mariner 25hp

James291

I’ve got a Mariner 25hp 2stroke that died on me while I was on the river one day. I took it apart and realized a seal went bad and instead of oil lubricating everything, it was water. I’ve let it sit for a while as I’ve been busy working on the road but finally have to to get to it now. I’ve removed the carrier bearing and all that’s left now is the driveshaft. Looks like the spline from the driveshaft just slides in to the top gear. I’ve tried heat and no luck. I’ve tried prying and prying but still nothing. This was my granddads old motor and would like to get it up and running again. I also have the serial number but still cannot find the exact year. It’s a 25hp Mariner with electric start and the FNR on the side of the cowling. TIA

SN- 0C257940

Water will destroy the gears and bearings.----And some of those driveshafts have a bolt on the bottom to hold the pinion in place.

Your driveshaft should simply pull out then.-----But have you looked at the bottom of the pinion with one of those fancy inspection / dental mirrors ?

Your driveshaft should simply pull out then.-----But have you looked at the bottom of the pinion with one of those fancy inspection / dental mirrors ?
I have not. I shoved a headlamp through the prop shaft tunnel and got it close and looked through the oil drain and nothing. It is rusty though so I might just throw it on my fire pit for a few minutes

Also another question. Is it possible to change the side shifter on the side of the cowling with the shift linkage to the tiller handle shifter style?

Your DS has a bolt in the pinion and yes you can convert. Going to be expensive to do and would be cheaper to find a blown donor motor to get parts off of.

Back