Logo

Help with 75 Merc Kiekhaffer prop shaft removal

ben

" I was wondering if someone c

" I was wondering if someone can tell me the secret to removing the prop shaft on a 7.5 hp ('75 I think) merc kiekhaffer? I've got everything off, but I need to remove the prop shaft as the shaft seal is bad, it's been leaking lower unit grease, so I took the whole thing apart, but can't get the prop shaft out. Also, when I took the retainer ring out, there was a aluminum o-ring behind it, but no other rubber o-ring. From what I understand there is supposed to be one there, but my question is does it go in front of or behind the alum o-ring?

If all else fails, I can probably take it to a shop and get it done pretty cheap, but if I can I'd like to do it myself.

Thanks!

Ben "

" Ben,

After removing the r

" Ben,

After removing the ring nut, you have to pull the bearing carrier. It sounds like you got the ring nut off, but if you haven't it is usually easier to drill a few holes in it and break it off.

The bearing carrier can be really tough to remove. Lots of heat from a propane torch will help, but the heat can cause other problems if you are not careful. The driveshaft seal and shift rod seal could be damaged by the heat, along with the water pump. You could remove the pump, and protect the seals with a towel soaked in cold water while you are applying the heat.

The o-ring is at the forward end of the bearing carrier. After pulling the carrier the propshaft will simply come right out, but there is no need; the seal is in the bearing carrier.

Tony "

" Thanks Tony, so I take it th

" Thanks Tony, so I take it that I need a puller to do this? I really thought that I would need to thread it out like the ring nut. I can try it a little, but I'm afraid of putting heat on it since there's some hairline fractures in the bearing carrier, and I'm not sure it they go all the way through or not. I'll look at it again, and see what I can do. Thanks. "

" Tony, I'm wondering how

" Tony, I'm wondering how one would remove the water pump base, there's no apparent way that I see that it comes out, I removed the threaded rods that hold the pump top on, but it appears to be fastened to the lower unit casting by some other means. I haven't been brave enough to try to remove the bearing carrier yet, I'm afraid I'm gonna break it, I have a habit of doing that to stuff.

BTW, I did get the ring nut off, it actually wasnt that bad, I just used a pair of needle nose pliers to unscrew it once I broke it loose by tapping it with the blunt end of a center punch in the slots. "

Back