Logo

help with 1999 75 hp

tomr

ok here we go . i had starting problems . found out that #1 cylinder CMD was bad and replaced it. now with new one instilled i have still have firing problems with that cylinder . i get shock if i touch the plug wire but if i pull the wire off there is no spark that will jump over to the plug. i switched out the 1 and 2 plug to see if it was a bad plug but it did the same thing. any ideas out there on what is going on. i also put in a new voltage regulator and had no change. i can pull off the # 2 and 3 plug wires and see the spark jump to the plug with out getting shocked but can't even touch the # 1 wire without getting shocked , while wearing rubber gloves i can pull the wire off and there is no spark jumping to the plug i can hear the ticking sound of the spark but can't see any sign of it.

Do compression test. A bad head gasket could be the trouble.That OK get spark testers $5.99 at Auto Zone.The spark should jump 7/16"
Ethanol is messing up a lot of motors.It's delaminating the inside of older hoses causing clogs in the carbs and fuel filter.Check for soft hoses and junk in the filter on the motor.Check the diaphram J

Last edited:
new fuel lines and filter , compression good, spark jumps from 2 and 3 no problem , i get shocked when i touch #1 and no spark jumping to plug the power is there i would think cause i get shocked . its like the power is going through the rubber not the wire .

new fuel lines and filter , compression good, spark jumps from 2 and 3 no problem , i get shocked when i touch #1 and no spark jumping to plug the power is there i would think cause i get shocked . its like the power is going through the rubber not the wire .
yes sounds like wire is bad ,The spark is not getting to the end of the wire to fire the plug.

Back