Logo

Help, Volvo Penta B20 carby kit and water pump

Guyph_01

Contributing Member
Hi,

After some help locating the right parts for my motor. As some may know its kinda impossible here in Australia:(

I was after a carby kit fuel pump gasket kit and a water pump to service the motor. Now its got twin carbs and below are some pics with details of the motor..

In this pic, whats the water pump? the whole big alu casing or just the little one with the two in and out hoses?

Hope those nembers help:)
Thx

On another note, I've got some issue with the fuel pump etc, first its leaking:) but i just need to find the gasket kit. The other main issue is...., I think its over fueling the carbs and the engine refuses to start. Now if i press on the little lever, fuel pump bypass thing, The engine start easily and runs better. there is no return line from the carbs to the fuel tank. should there be one? OR should i just put a fuel pump block off plate?

Thx guys :)

Could anyone please help me, I can't figure the carb issue and i'm not sure if i'm looking at the right parts on ebay.

thx

To answer your first question, the water pump is the "small thing with the two in-out hoses". Replacing the impeller just involves removing the screws that hold the cover on. The gasket under the plate needs replaced.

Re the fuel pump/carbs: Two different things! If the fuel pump is leaking gas, this is a non repairable problem. Pump needs replaced. Re: Overfueling. You didn't provide a pix of the carbs. When last I has a overfueling issue on a twin carb Volvo ( B18), it turned out to be wear on the (brass) tips of the carb float shut off needle valves. Replacing them is the fix. On the B18 twin downdraft (Zenith) engine I had, the float bowl gasket was graphite impregnated and reusable, if one were careful taking it apart. I owned that boat for 16 seasons and removed the bowls at least once a year. Used same gasket all that time. If float level is properly set and all else is OK, that gasket does almost no work.

Don't consider that lever on the carb a "bypass" lever, it's intended to allow you to fill the carb bowls without cranking the engine when the engine has not been run for a long time and the fuel in the bowls evaporates (and the battery may be low).

No, carbed gas engines do not normally have return lines.

re: "should there be one (return line)? OR should i just put a fuel pump block off plate?".
I don't understand this one! The only scenario for a fuel pump block off plate would be if you were to install a MARINE electric fuel pump (with low oil pressure safety shut off switch) to replace your mechanical one.

Last edited:
Ok so more bad news then:(

Ok so Regarding the water pump. Can i make the gasket myself out of gasket material or does it need to be bought? I had a quick look on ebay but no luck still. What should i look for to get the impeller and gasket?

Ok so for the fuel pump, where can i get a replacement one? ebay? or maybe someone knows a store or something... and where can i get needle valves?

Sorry i'm asking for a lot but nothing is available down under here or if it is its 10 times more expensive!!

Thx again for help? :)

Last edited:
Back